Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: In search of a game...  (Read 2021 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
In search of a game...
« on: October 29, 2008, 01:37:31 pm »

Again and again trying to get a decent session of playing Remember Tomorrow (it crashes periodically), I began thinking. Is there any other RTS/TBS out there that allows crafting your units in extreme functional detail? I don't mean visual design like in GalCiv2, in fact I prefer not having to concern myself with visuals. Remember Tomorrow hits you with staggering conundrums as you try to stuff all the different-sized components into the hull, trying again and again to find an extra 5x5 spot to throw in another basic fuel tank for an extra 1000 range. Is there any game out there at all, that allows you to design your units in ways other than just sticking guns on them?
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
Re: In search of a game...
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 02:49:26 pm »

Uh...Not the ones I know.
Battlezone 2 lets you customize, but its mostly only with weapons, shields and accessories.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 03:44:19 pm »

AFAIK the only thing close to what you describe is SEV.

The placement doesn't usually matter, but I imagine you could easily mod in some additional complexity with SJ's Slot Modder and modding in additional kinds of slots.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 03:54:09 pm »

Yes, I've been trying to locate a copy of SEV for this reason, of all 4X games that one is closer to Remember Tomorrow than anything else. It really doesn't take placement into account, and all slots are the same size and every ship has three decks to place stuff, so it's not really challenging, just stuff stuff onto there. It's still better than what other games have for it. Ascendancy is another game like that, but I don't like its combat system. I also can't locate a copy of Imperium Galactica 2, that one has planet management and space battles very much like RT, but the constructor is, again, more or less just for placing cannons.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 04:08:59 pm »

Ascendancy is the only thing I can come up with off the top of my head. It's old and it's a 4X strategy game, so I don't know if it's what you're looking for.

There are four or five hull sizes you can choose from (after researching them, of course), with each larger hull having more space than the one before. You have to try to fit engines, power systems, weapons, colonizers, world-destroyers, shields, scanners etc on the blank template. The thing is, every piece of equipment only takes up one slot on the ship.
http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/221/Ascendancy.html
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 04:13:03 pm by Mephisto »

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 04:15:32 pm »

Hm...I don't know any game what had a feature like "design units". Galciv2 is the only one, but it's not the game what you are looking for as I see.  :)

PS. Stardock's upcoming game will have this feature IF true. We shall see it on the next week..

Kayla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 05:50:14 am »

There is an indie game, Battleships Forever, that you may want to look into. I'm not entirely sure if the placement of the weapons matter, but I do know, where you place certain body parts, you can use those body parts to protect your engine and so on.

Try it out.

Edit: On Space Empires V, I've heard some pretty nasty stuff about it's complexity and how it's very unforgiving. What's everyone's take on that?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 05:53:04 am by Kayla »

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2008, 06:45:49 am »

There is an indie game, Battleships Forever, that you may want to look into. I'm not entirely sure if the placement of the weapons matter, but I do know, where you place certain body parts, you can use those body parts to protect your engine and so on.

Try it out.

Edit: On Space Empires V, I've heard some pretty nasty stuff about it's complexity and how it's very unforgiving. What's everyone's take on that?

SE V. is horrible compared to Galciv2 - ToA at least.  ;)

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2008, 07:25:59 am »

Not really. On unmodded normal difficulty it's pretty easy as far as I'm concerned. Computer players never seem to be able to counter my swarms of fighters, I've yet to even encounter a race as wide-spread as mine on normal. You can probably beat it on normal even if complexity isn't your thing (although, being on the DF forums, it should) and on easy you can pretty much just bugger around with the techs and learn how to play it without a manual via trial and error.

SE V. is horrible compared to Galciv2 - ToA at least.  ;)
GC2TOA is boring compared to SE V. No tactical space battles, no land battles, cretinous tech descriptions and pre-defined races. >:(</nerdrage>

Though I guess this varies based on whether you prefer complexity/micromanagment or somewhat more casual gameplay (a la Civ4).

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2008, 07:29:19 am »

Yeah the only thing what I miss from Galciv2. is the tactical battle system. Thankfully we gonna have that even in the upcoming fantasy TBS by Stardock.  8)

deadlycairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2008, 12:25:01 pm »

I've got battleships forever and its quite a fun game - if your computer can run it. You either do a set of missions or go on a skirmish, using premade ships or your own. The ships are all wireframe, and its fun to watch the engine fly away when you target and destroy an unprotected point :D
Quote from: Ampersand
Also, Xom finds people that chug unidentified fluids pleasing.
Quote from: Servant Corps
Ignorance of magic does not give scientists the power to resist fireballs.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2008, 04:35:07 pm »

They aren't actually wireframe, they only appear that way since the parts have very few colors(light dark and background, I think).

But it is a great anyways, although less RTS than all of those other ones, since it requires somewhat more micromanagement and there only are the ships you start with..
Eh?
Eh!

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2008, 06:27:12 pm »

I've got battleships forever and its quite a fun game - if your computer can run it. You either do a set of missions or go on a skirmish, using premade ships or your own. The ships are all wireframe, and its fun to watch the engine fly away when you target and destroy an unprotected point :D

No...

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2008, 06:30:56 pm »

whata you mean no?