Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Controling Tamed Animals?  (Read 534 times)

vooood

• Bay Watcher
  • Prophet
    • View Profile
    • Amalis of Daloth (TBA)
Controling Tamed Animals?
« on: October 21, 2008, 08:41:40 am »

Hello!

I'm quite new to this great game but seems that I mastered most of the game beginning aspects. I have the following question:

I embarked with some cows and horses and would like them to stay within an enclosed area (wall). I built the wall but the animals walked away in the mean time. Is there a way to somehow call or move them behind the wall (I have doors) so they don't run around freely?

Thank you in advance!
Music was my first love, and it will be my last.
Music of the future, and music of the past.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Controling Tamed Animals?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 08:56:55 am »

Doubleposts I can understand. But doublethreads?
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 11:13:38 am »

Set a meeting area inside the wall (using 'i').  Animals will tend to congregate there.  When they're all inside, mark the doors as non-pet-passable.

Alternatively, build restraints (out of chains or rope) in the room and attach the animals to them.

Alternatively, build a cage, hook it up to a lever, put all the animals in it, and then release them when desired.

Note that no matter how you do it, if dwarves can get into the room, the livestock can get out (dwarves will leave doors open for a bit after they go through them, so livestock can pass through even non-pet-passable doors occasionally).  Also, animals who are trying to path somewhere but can't can hurt your FPS.  So, for this reason, you're better off restraining any animals you want to mate, and putting all others into a cage.
Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.

Wolfking6116

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 03:24:38 pm »

Animals breed in cages, by the way. >.>
One of the several things that often gets DF branded as a roguelike is that the random number generator can always find some way to screw you over.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 03:40:17 pm »

Doubleposts I can understand. But doublethreads?

I guess that we can blame this on the forum's server now. While voood was posting his first message, the forum probably stopped to work, but his message appeared. One of my posts in the general subforum has been posted somehow, and I had a server error when I clicked on the "Post" button.

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 08:23:25 pm »

Animals breed in cages, by the way. >.>
Wrong. Animals that are already pregnant give birth while in cages, but they will never get pregnant whilst in a cage.
"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

Wolfking6116

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2008, 03:51:01 pm »

Tell that to the 50+ dogs I had in my last fort that were only in cages.

Along with all my cows on that fort too. >_>

Note; the babies were immediatly put back into the cage upon birth.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 03:56:01 pm by Wolfking6116 »
One of the several things that often gets DF branded as a roguelike is that the random number generator can always find some way to screw you over.

vooood

• Bay Watcher
  • Prophet
    • View Profile
    • Amalis of Daloth (TBA)
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2008, 04:17:32 pm »

uh oh.. i never realised that it was a doublethread.. the server indeed had some problems and stopped several times before i managed to submit.. but i even got an alert that this was already posted and i can't do it.. xD

admins can delete this thread as the other contains more information ;)
Music was my first love, and it will be my last.
Music of the future, and music of the past.