Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Interruptions  (Read 804 times)

niaba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Interruptions
« on: October 18, 2008, 05:48:33 pm »

I am trying to build a fort across a terrifying chasm but progress is impossible because my dwarfs keep suspending jobs because they can see a few troglodytes are their friends. I would just pepper them with bolts but I have next to no wood and no bones (plus, they're skeletal). any other solution?
ust pretend this is interesting.

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Interruptions
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2008, 05:56:05 pm »

Can you get up high and designate a spot to dump things on them? Enlist a few dwarves and train them until they're unarmed champions?

niaba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2008, 09:37:30 pm »

I was looking for more of a quick fix. Maybe [no_fear]?

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2008, 02:54:52 pm »

Wait until you get Immigrants, draft them all and dig down right next to the chasm and release 10 dwarfs of fury.
Rather than having them directly force you to mine adamantine, I would suggest that they give you strange moods that require adamantine. "Dig out the adamantine or Urist here goes insane and dies" is suitably vicious.

(It occurs to me that you can probably get "Lovecraft" as the random name of your fortress. That's when you know you're screwed.)

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2008, 03:07:22 pm »

I assume interruptions are based on pathing or line of sight? Would it be possible to use bridges to block view?

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2008, 06:23:07 pm »

I assume interruptions are based on pathing or line of sight? Would it be possible to use bridges to block view?

If you could somehow get the bridge up, probably yes. It would be rather difficult, seeing as the bridge-builders would be able to see the trogs from the place where they need to build the bridge.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Oneir

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fancy hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2008, 06:33:04 pm »

Unless I'm misreading the first post, I don't think that would help the OP, even if the logistics of setting the bridge up were worked out: the critters are still going to cause interruptions when you go to actually build the fort across the cavern.
I think the best ways to deal with it are, yeah, giving dwarves [NO_FEAR] or taking out the critters distracting them.
Although... if you could figure out the maximum z-level distance a dwarf will be intimidated from, and you didn't mind the trouble, you could probably build a big ledge or something over the trogs and collapse onto them (with a lever-linked support, naturally). Or maybe if you had water at a convenient height you could channel/pump it over to them and flush them into the cavern.

niaba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2008, 04:46:02 pm »

Thanks for the help. The bridge is my problem, they walk half way across spot all the critters and forget what they were doing. I'll try [no_fear] and if that doesn't work I'll try channelling the cave river to wash them away, but that may be trickier than I'd hope (skeletal cave crocodiles anyone?).

Oneir

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fancy hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2008, 04:49:36 pm »

Except that they will also be swept away into the chasm. If you wanted them for bones you'd be at a loss, but at least they'd be out of the way... you can expect monster lag for a bit, though, and you'll probably want some way of turning off the deluge after you've dealt with the trogs.

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2008, 09:06:41 pm »

Could also try a long hall of cage traps, just dig down to where the trog n' friends are and set up a long hallway with traps, dig out that last square and run :D
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

niaba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2008, 08:55:50 am »

I tried sending my dwarves to beat up some of the skeletons but they all died. Now all my reclaim party are beating up each other.  :-\