Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Alright my first megabeast  (Read 1024 times)

worldspawn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Alright my first megabeast
« on: October 29, 2008, 10:37:21 pm »

A naked titan showed up at the edge of the map to my fort and I was so excited since this was my first megabeast. I activated my only squad of army dwarves and had them wait inside the entrance to my fort in anticipation of this epic battle. I kept an eye on the titan and saw it blitz across the map towards my fort. He got closer and closer and my undertrained dwarves were making me more and more nervous since they were barely competent with their -copper- weapons. The titan got closer and ran across the bridge RIGHT ACROSS FROM THE ENTRANCE OMG HERE HE COMES......to promptly exploded on a weapon trap sending parts flying everywhere including on top of my fort several z levels up. I made a totem from his skull worth a paltry 50 dwarfins.

While none of this is surprising to anyone I'm sure I was wondering if anyone had any megabeast stories where the battle WAS epic and involved mass death all around. I especially want to hear stories of megabeasts bringing an end to a fort completely since I seem to be lacking in this department.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: Alright my first megabeast
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 10:44:20 pm »

Hydra.
 Right after goblins clogged all the traps and rendered the military dwarves wounded.

The bastard hunted a bunch of dwarves that were trying to unclog the traps, and ran away when the three speardwarves that remained of my military came. Assuming the Hydra would leave the map, I left the speardwarves to their posts and looked at other matters. Like why the heck my well was not working!

A few minutes later, I get a bunch of cancellation messages. Seems the Hydra massacred the military and was now hunting my civilians. I was down to twenty, so I just let them rush him. It was unfortunate that most of them were drinking at the time, bumping my population down to 15. When they finally stopped drinking and started to organize outside the rooms of the wounded dwarves, the Hydra came.

10 dwarves left after the beast fell to a lucky strike from the woodcutter. I was actually surprised the woodcutter survived so long, as the Hydra apparently got more skilled through the murders of dwarves.

Now mind you all of my traps and most of my military was out of commission. There was even a pit under construction outside of the front gate, which would have allowed me to seal myself in. So really, the only problem they seem to give is people unprepared for it.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 10:46:18 pm »

Not to blow my own horn, but this is one of the reasons I made Legendary Lands.
Megabeasts are scary as hell. Guaranteed or your money back.

See link below.
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19228.0
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 10:48:52 pm »

See link below.

I think I used that when playing a succession game...

I have some horrible things to say to you about Chaos Dwarves... Really horrible things. Then again, it was their challenge that made the whole thing fun.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 10:50:10 pm »

See link below.

I have some horrible things to say to you about Chaos Dwarves... Really horrible things. Then again, it was their challenge that made the whole thing fun.

Not my mod, then. I have no chaos dwarves. If it were LL you'd be berating me for the Avari.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 10:58:35 pm »

See link below.

Not my mod, then. I have no chaos dwarves. If it were LL you'd be berating me for the Avari.

Whoops, sorry. Never really dabbled with modding the game except for a few tests.

Legendary Lands is going to GET IT NOW!

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 12:41:00 am »

See link below.

Avari don't seem to bother me.  They mainly come around with caravans that won't trade with me and eventually go berzerk.

Insectoids, on the other hand, are deadly.  So are vampires.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2008, 12:43:31 am »

See link below.

Avari don't seem to bother me.  They mainly come around with caravans that won't trade with me and eventually go berzerk.

Insectoids, on the other hand, are deadly.  So are vampires.

Well, Insectoids are no longer in the game, and Vampires are just semi-megabeasts again.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2008, 07:14:45 am »

See link below.

That is a good mod Captain. Thanks for it.  8)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 07:18:14 am by Tormy »