Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Farming - more annual and less seasonal...  (Read 776 times)

Skyrage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Farming - more annual and less seasonal...
« on: October 22, 2008, 10:43:50 am »

Might have been suggested in different forms before...

My suggestion is that farming is changed from a seasonal to a more annual system. Like for the basic plump helmets, you plant them during spring and harvest them in autumn - maybe some plants can follow some different pattern, like plant in winter, harvest in autumn, and so on. Maybe even have rare plants take multiple years to grow or something interesting like that.
As it is right now, farming generates way too much food in a too short time since it only takes one season for plants to grow.

Also, the absolute maximum of 11 plants gained in return for 1 is way too high as well. Changing the maximum (with fertilizing) to 6-8 at most would be a good start. Novice growers plant 1 seed and get 2 seems like a fair deal as it is right now. Make the max that you can gain from harvests without fertilizers but with experienced growers, 4-5. So basically at least 2 and at most 5 per seed for skilled growers. This would encourage making large farmplots and perhaps even actually use fertilizers if a large output is wanted.

On top of that, it'd be a nice touch if farmers are required to look after the fields every now and then if they want to increase the odds for a good harvest. That'd also keep them occupied whilst the plants grow.

Hmm, that's about it for now :P

Zulaf

• Bay Watcher
  • Am I learning, or do I only think I am?
    • View Profile
Re: Farming - more annual and less seasonal...
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 12:43:59 pm »

Hmmm i like it, i would add that the farmers shouldn't bring only one seed but instead bring a whole bag with some seeds that hes planting, when he runs out he puts the bag back, or instead gets an empty bag and fills it with the seed hes planting. maybe even have a option that lets the farmers plant whatever can be planted instead of you choosing what to plant.

Oh maybe even have the underground plants grow slower then the outside plants, it would make sieges that you cant deal with but instead let them sit outside be more effective(so you cant harvest) if you haven't secured some outside area.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 12:47:50 pm by Zulaf »
WIERD 2-5-6-8-9-14

irmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 03:45:03 pm »

Concerning maintenance of fields, I like the idea of having to keep the fields wet. By default, when a field starts drying out, it would generate a "Water Field" job and a farmer would fetch a bucket and throw some water on it. This might happen once a month or so (more often for outdoor farms which are exposed to the sun, and some plants might drink up water faster than others). If you want to avoid that, you build an irrigation system and periodically flood your farm up to 1/7. Once river flooding is back in, another option would be to put your fields in the flood plain.

Skyrage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 03:57:58 pm »

Yeah, that's exactly the stuff that farming desperately needs. Not just pop in a seed on the ground and then wait for a plant to crop up. Stuff like this would definitely help with the whole too-much-food-from-farms issue. Only time that you should get lots of food from a farm is if you have large fields that you have successfully managed to upkeep throughout the whole growing period.

dizzyelk

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes kittens for their delicious roasts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 04:26:43 pm »

Plants that would take multiple years should have a prune job pop up every month or two. Maybe you should even be able to harvest a multi-year plant each year without having to plant a new one. I like the water plants job, but outdoor plants would have to track the rainfall. If you live somewhere that has constant rainfall, it should drown your crops, and if you live somewhere with little/no rainfall, you should have to water more often.
Dwarf Fortress - Bringing out the evil in people since 2006.
Somehow, that fills me more with dread than anticipation.  It's like being told that someone's exhuming your favorite grandparent and they're going to try to make her into a cyborg stripper.

Gauphastus

• Bay Watcher
  • y hello der
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 07:12:26 pm »

I like the idea of managing farms in games.
In DF's case, this would certainly make the farming a good bit more interesting.

Having to consider proximity to water sources, maturation of crops, fertility, and such are good ideas.
As it is right now.. wicked easy.