Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chaining animals  (Read 520 times)

Sir_Geo

• Bay Watcher
  • !
    • View Profile
Chaining animals
« on: October 19, 2008, 02:54:52 am »

In the past I've tried chaining animals at my entrance so to spot kobolds and such but whenever I tried this there would always be dwarves hanging around the chain whenever they are on break or have nothing else to do. I noticed this happening even when I had both a designated meeting area and a masterwork statue garden.
Normally this isn't much of a problem but once I start getting sieged then I find myself having to remove the chains or else risk losing a boatload of dwarves every season and stationing my military there kind of defeats the purpose of having animals to spot attacks...
So does anyone know how I can keep my dwarves away from the chains?
The logistical problems dealing with a private space colony are at least as bad as dealing with the zombies.

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-5403-fortressdipped
Fortressdipped, my ice castle.

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
Re: Chaining animals
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 11:15:48 am »

Don't make the chain a room.  If you do they'll throw wedding receptions at your war dog, Oktnold "the gristled death", or whatever his name is.

Tayrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Chaining animals
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 11:18:34 am »

Just a quick elaboration on how to resolve this, in case it helps:

Dwarves will only use a chain as a gathering area if said chain is designated as a room; done by pressing q and then r on the chain. To undo this, press q and then f on such a chain, to free the room. Dwarves should then no longer gather at that particular chain.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 11:33:28 am by Tayrin »