Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: lots of haunted oceans  (Read 884 times)

Darktongue Breakbone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
lots of haunted oceans
« on: October 15, 2008, 10:08:39 pm »

I started playing after almost a 1 year hiatus.  I've noticed the newest version world generator produces haunted oceans out the ass.  hardly anything else is haunted.  Any Idea why this is?  Oftentimes, my only ocean is haunted.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: lots of haunted oceans
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 12:24:42 am »

It seems like it selects *regions* to have a certain alignment rather than individual map tiles. So when you have an ocean of a certain alignment, it shows, and evil ones are the most visible graphically-speaking. In reality, you're probably getting just as many evil biomes elsewhere.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Croquantes

• Bay Watcher
  • Essence of Chicken
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 07:45:00 pm »

I wish that the -entire- ocean didn't have to be haunted. Why not small parts? Haunted oceans look so ugly. It's not cool when half the map is a bubbling froth of brownish green...

And just imagine the rain that would fall?

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 08:37:50 pm »

*FLASH* Harvest interrupted by rain of skeletal frogs.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 09:18:59 pm »

I wish that the -entire- ocean didn't have to be haunted. Why not small parts? Haunted oceans look so ugly. It's not cool when half the map is a bubbling froth of brownish green...

And just imagine the rain that would fall?

Why care about the color on the map screen? It's just there to give an impression of the biome/surroundings. It doesn't mean the water is necessarily brown/purple.

Also, it makes thematic sense for regions to be haunted/good/whatever rather than just tiny sections. I guess if large regions like oceans were broken up more into small ones, it could work.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 09:20:42 pm by G-Flex »
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==