Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A question about using the custom world creator.  (Read 794 times)

Hypcso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A question about using the custom world creator.
« on: October 13, 2008, 09:25:33 pm »

So i'm trying to create a world which consists entirely of evil/haunted glaciers/tundra/forest ( I want to attempt to recreate " The Wall " ). I've attempted a few things, which have resulted in infinite rejections. Does anyone know what I would have to do to get this working?

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Re: A question about using the custom world creator.
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 10:05:20 pm »

Try turning on "log map rejections" in the init.txt file. Generate a few times, and share the log with us. It sounds like either somewhere along the line there's a point where the game doesn't like the world, or all your civs are being eaten really soon.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 02:23:44 pm »

Most civs cannot grow in Savage (none by default, in fact), Good, or Evil terrain.  The creature type must have one of those flags for their civ to spread into the corresponding terrain (e.g. goblins are EVIL and thus the goblin civ appears in Evil regions).  If there aren't enough valid starting locations for civs, the world will be rejected.

You get similar rejections by not having enough of a necessary terrain type.  Too few mountains to place dwarf and/or goblin civs?  Rejected.  100% glacier world (no civ start locations)?  Rejected.

Hypcso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 08:07:44 pm »

I've managed to get it to work via allowing all rejections ( The world is pretty wonky, as a result.) and stopping it before it ran its course of history ( it didn't stop at year 200 ). I still can't seem to get what I want, although about 18% of the world is glacier/tundra and another 24% is forest, I can't seem to get a haunted or evil forest/glacier next to one another. Is there something I could change to allow this?

I should also add that it was quite slow and laggy ( Single digit fps ) during history/legends/erosion cycles. It actually froze a few times. I suspect it wasn't liking the no rejections.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 08:09:30 pm by Hypcso »

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2008, 08:50:22 am »

I should also add that it was quite slow and laggy ( Single digit fps ) during history/legends/erosion cycles. It actually froze a few times. I suspect it wasn't liking the no rejections.

You get a low framerate during most of world generation.  It doesn't update until it finishes some large scale task (e.g. a battle) because it doesn't need to update.

As far as the delays, my current world took easily 30 minutes, probably 45, to run history.  Everything else was fast (it was a painted 129x257 world -- all hail Excel and Notepad for assistance in tedious pattern generation and pure-text formatting, respectively), but history frequently froze.  Every 5-40 years something huge must've happened (I've yet to browse the history in detail), because it'd freeze, sometimes for upwards of 30 seconds.  It probably doesn't help that there were enormous livable territories and three times as many civs as in unmodded DF.

When the history generation freezes, it can seem like the game locked up entirely.  Just give it time and it'll probably fix itself.

If it locks up entirely during the initialization phase (before it starts counting from year 1 up, but after erosion), you may have a raw problem.  Alternately, you may have too many caves.  In previous (randomly generated) worlds, I've had to reduce the cave count (not cave size) to avoid apparent lock-ups.  It may not have actually locked up, but the pause certainly outlasted my patience.