Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I can finally consider myself a real dwarf  (Read 1931 times)

Randominality

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:EAT]
    • View Profile
I can finally consider myself a real dwarf
« on: November 11, 2008, 11:11:17 am »

After playing DF for a few months now and having my fort run along nicely with a population of 180 atm i finally did something dwarfish. Up until now i sort of had a big courtyard with a big wall and towers at all four corners with a moat and drawbridges and inside that a complicated entrance with shooting galleries either side (and also a nice waterfall through my legendery dining room), and thats as dwarfish as it ever really got. Until now!

I noticed i had the incoming king in my nobles screen so i decided to build his rooms before i fulfilled the demands for his arrival. after designing nice big rooms with magma and water channels fo decoration and pillars and such i started looking around for an epic spot to put his tomb - then i realised that directly below my circular pit of doom (so called cos thats where i chuck the captured gobbos to be shredded by a dragon) there was a circular space encircled by the moat of water and then the moat of lava which goes around the pit of doom. So i dug the circular area out and put my nice Artifact coffin in the center so that when the king is laid to rest he will know that only a few feet above, goblins are being torn limb from limb in Armoks name. - pretty good i thought!

However now i think about it there was a massive missed oppurtunity-the coffin should have a floor grate above it so the it would be soaked in the blood of my sacrifices but i cant get to the pit of doom because: a) theres a dragon running loose inside and b) its completely sealed off by a moat of lava. Is there a utility that will allow me to change that one tile to be channeld out and have a grate on it?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 11:34:48 am by Randominality »
Oh Gordon Freeman, what medical procedure can't you educate alien war machines about?

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I can finally consider myself a real dwarf
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 01:02:15 pm »

Pfft!  Real dwarves use great feats of engineering to solve their problems (note that I'm not a real dwarf :P).

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 01:08:14 pm »

No, but your problem is surmountable.

Build a tunnel up to, but not opening into, the dragon pit.

Build a cage trap at the end of the tunnel.  Ensure the cage trap gets loaded.

Dig into the dragon pit.  Perhaps with someone expendable.  The dragon may roast them, but ideally, they run away and the dragon, who can now path out, ends up in the cage trap.

Going over magma is easy.  Build a floor.  It doesn't even need to be magma safe materials. 

When you're done, the floor can be removed as normal, the tunnel sealed up, and the dragon pitted back into the pit.
Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 01:18:33 pm »

And this time you should build a bridge that you raise before pitting the dragon, in case you'll need access again

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 01:22:38 pm »

That way you can also send in your own troops too, for mop-up or training.

Randominality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008, 01:09:06 pm »

oh yeh a bridge! so simple yet quite genial ;D
Oh Gordon Freeman, what medical procedure can't you educate alien war machines about?

neue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2008, 03:37:19 pm »

don't bother caging the dragon, just use it as a challenge for all new miners to channel without being interrupted or killed by the dragon.
a miner who cannot do this has no place in your fortress!

SombreChapaeu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2008, 07:42:13 pm »

how did this dragon get into the pit in the first place? also if it was caged, has it tasted dwarven blood? if it hasn't hoardmaster should have tamed the beast meaning the dragon is your friend.

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2008, 09:09:13 pm »

Pfft!  Real dwarves use great feats of engineering to solve their problems (note that I'm not a real dwarf :P ).
I say I am a half-baked one, I plan the intricate mechanisms, but can't last enough to see them live.
( Can water blast things up z? )

Spoiler: :D (click to show/hide)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2008, 10:16:41 pm »

What's up with all this random thesis stuff? Did I miss something?

Randominality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2008, 11:41:52 am »

meh i thought it would be more fun not to tame it and then just hook up the cage to a lever, seal its cage in the room then pull the lever and release the dragon, a tamed dragon is not a real dragon - i wanted the authentic article

Hamster Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2008, 02:19:04 am »

meh i thought it would be more fun not to tame it and then just hook up the cage to a lever, seal its cage in the room then pull the lever and release the dragon, a tamed dragon is not a real dragon - i wanted the authentic article

Good on you! Also, tamed dragons don't shoot fireballs, so your decision was correct in more ways than one.
So there's that, as well. It looks like the only chronic problems that water can't cure are nausea and cave spider bites.
Which, coincidentally enough, can be cured by magma.