Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Beards  (Read 4274 times)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Beards
« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2009, 02:47:10 am »

Would it be overly much to hope that dorf beards are randomly determined to be hair / metallic on world gen?

At the moment, yes.  Randomized creatures aren't coming until later (they're on dev_next but it could be a while).

Urist McDetective

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2009, 03:17:54 am »

Heh. I rarely hope for what's already available - just for the future. ;)
Do solid stone beards break suspension of disbelief? Light stones like pumice? Now that I'm thinking about it ...
WELCOME TO FUCKING BAY12!
 - not only do they have the weapons, they also have the Fortresses -
I have noticed a rather mixed reaction with microcline, but what do people think of olivine?
Oh I love olivine.  I think dark green furniture makes the fortress tasteful.
Wait, what?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2009, 03:23:42 am »

Well, beards made of varying materials are kind of inherently problematic.  In the new raws, there's a single hair material template that all creatures can "inherit" and modify to whatever degree, but it's still a material with a single color that gets used for the hair "tissue."  The color swap occurs later via a Tissue Layer Color Modifier (TLCM) tag that appears to override the color of the material that composes the tissue.  And it's JUST a color swap, not a material swap, so you can't do anything like reference a list of external materials.  You have to fake it and add copper/iron/lead or pumice/obsidian/etc. to the color raws. 

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2009, 03:46:30 am »

Well then, there's two straightforward suggestions for something I want:

More variety of hair types (IRL, I've got a beard almost as wirey as steel wool--seriously, it can and has drawn blood--while my head hair is soft, and my bodyhair is noticeably finer than either, and that's aside from the different lengths/growth-rates. My full beard-(normally I wear a goatee)-aside from the texture, also has hairs of blonde, brown, red, and black in it.),

and exotic/inorganic (semiorganic?) materials available for use in bodyparts/as tissue-types.
For they would be your masters.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2009, 04:02:15 am »

and exotic/inorganic (semiorganic?) materials available for use in bodyparts/as tissue-types.

Well, they ARE available for use that way -- you can have creatures with iron skin or obsidian scales or chitin hair or whatever.  But you can't do the variation/inheritance stuff that you can do with the color modifier.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 12, 2009, 04:41:11 am »

Well, the metal beard thing is based on the dwarf's nutrition, and that's only incidental.

The dwarf's just a host for what's essentially a  parasite with symbiotic traits, but a completely different genetic structure--although a parent can easily pass it on to a child. 

By the way, somebody asked about forging beards after a dwarf's death. That's exactly what ore veins are, by the way: the really looooong beards of primordial dwarfs.  :P

For they would be your masters.

praguepride

• Bay Watcher
  • DF is serious business!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2009, 08:45:37 am »

While it might be neat to have (i.e. mod) dwarf beards to drop ore, I doubt you'll be able to customize it to the extent of having dwarves essnetially drop random ore when they die.

Actually, you could mod that in now that  abyproduct of dwarvy death is to drop iron ore.

So here's a question. Should dwarves get bad thoughts from looting the "beards" of dead comrades?

Final Words Before the Flame War
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Man, dwarves are such a**holes!

Even automatic genocide would be a better approach
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]