Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: getting a watrerfall  (Read 810 times)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
getting a watrerfall
« on: October 22, 2008, 03:59:17 pm »

well, i want a waterfall in my dining room but there are a few problems. the brook is 1 z-level lower, and i have no idea how to makea waterfall or use pumps. so can someone give me some examples and stuff? maybe some screen shots or if possible a video

Pie

• Bay Watcher
  • Winner of the "most disturbing avatar" award.
    • View Profile
Re: getting a watrerfall
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 05:01:20 pm »

Read the wiki a little? Wait until you understand these things more before attempting it - you don't want your whole fort to flood.

JacobGreyson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 05:23:21 pm »

...You don't?

Anyway. My advice is to dig a tunnel from the brook into a nice and deep, self-recycling cistern into which you drop a well. Make sure the well drops over the movement of water from where it returns to the pump. The screw pump (Build menu: 'M','s') pulls up water from an opening in the floor to its back and dumps it out on its own z-level on its opposite side. They require either a dwarf operating them or use of axles and gears, but that's a bit advanced. If you're going to make a waterfall in a cold climate, make sure there's at least one z-level of stone or earth above the dining room, that way the water won't freeze. Never breach the waterworks from above, never show it the sun. If you do, come winter, it'll freeze. Once you finagle a way to get the water up (at least) two z-levels, you'll just have experiment until you find a drainage system to dump that water back into the cistern.

Don't be afraid of a little flooding, but if you are, you can always put a floodgate in front of the hole down and attach it to a lever. Pull the lever, shut off the water. Remember that losing is fun.

Kishmond

• Bay Watcher
  • What the pfargtl?
    • View Profile
    • My DF Stories blog.
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 05:41:00 pm »

Fluid management is very advanced. There's diagrams on the wiki but if you're new I reccommend practicing by building towers and stuff.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2008, 01:31:02 am »

Also please post pics when all your dwarves drown.  ;D

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2008, 01:49:38 am »

he brook is 1 z-level lower, and i have no idea how to makea waterfall or use pumps.

Hey, that's probably good. Means its harder to flood your fort if you have a drainage channel.
Magma is overrated.