Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Some Help For The Writers  (Read 898 times)

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
Some Help For The Writers
« on: October 08, 2008, 02:43:13 am »

I've been looking for a complete list of possible names in DF for a while now, with the intention of adding them to the wiki for the benefit of DF fanfic writers; I may even be able to repurpose a random name generator from the Heroes of Ardania wiki if its author consents. Unfortunately, I've gone over the raw files with a fine-tooth comb yet still failed to locate them, leading me to suspect they're hard-coded. I don't have the tools or the knowledge to delve into the source code, so could our esteemed leaders or one of the really hardcore modders please help me out on this? It would make life a lot easier for those of us trying to write DF fanfic that's not directly inspired by our own current fort.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Some Help For The Writers
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 06:12:16 am »

Languanges files.
TRUE STORY e.g.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 11:37:15 am »

DF folder -> raw -> objects -> "language_DWARF" (or whatever).txt"
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008, 07:03:20 pm »

Don't forget about language_SYM.txt, so you can discount the appropriate word categories.  Unless you want a dwarf named Dettost Vakistagak, a.k.a. 'Leper Laceanus.'
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.