Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help with a creature or two  (Read 510 times)

LumenPlacidum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Help with a creature or two
« on: September 30, 2008, 09:20:42 am »

Hey all.  I'm making a couple creatures for the Halloween creature competition, and I need some help figuring these things out.

The first, what I call the Napalmer, is a creature that lives in lava and in sandy deserts.  The basic idea is that it's a creature that's not too big, and while it can manage itself in melee combat, it's primary means of attack is to shoot "napalm" at the target.  It's a four-legged red chitinous creature with a beak that drips a glowing hot liquid.  It has two pincers that maneuver above its head and a dorsal fin that allows it some better maneuverability in lava.  It's fast.

The creature's napalm takes the form of the standard webbing attack, but with the silk set to a very high temperature and set to melt at that temperature.  My original design had been to make it ignite, but the forest fires were stunning and numerous.  The problem is, change of state due to temperature does not seem to happen in adventure mode, and I cannot seem to get these guys to web anyone in fortress mode.  In fortress mode, the webs that start out on the map immediately melt away (when they ignited, they ignited, but this caused lots of bad things to happen).
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

My second creature is dubbed the Ascerbask.  It's a gaunt biped with tattered wings that it uses to shield its body and grab opponents so that it can then sting them to death and eat their bodies.  The special thing about this one is that its bones burn at their ambient temperature, but don't take any damage at that temperature.  I have yet to actually run into one of these guys in the game, but I'm hoping this means that when you kill one, then it will eventually decompose into these eerie burning bones which are, of course, a hazard.  This creature is slow, and will only appear on winter nights in the coldest of biomes.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Help with a creature or two
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 12:11:53 am »

Just a small thing, but currently if one of the Ascerbasks flay you in adventure mode it won't say "The Ascerbask flays you in the upper body with their right handwing", but rather it will say "The Ascerbask flenses you in the upper body with their right handwing." I don't know if you meant for that to be that way, but it just seems a little strange.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.