Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Try after you buy!  (Read 5290 times)

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
Re: Try after you buy!
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2009, 01:56:19 pm »

I think MrWiggles had a good point about the demos being something that they can put in a customers hands in order to drum up presales that can be used in viral marketing figures.

I.E.  I COULD preorder Halo 6, or I could keep my 5 bucks and just by it when it comes out (or 2-3 days later).  If getting it the day of release isn't a good enough motivator, access to the demo allows for the salesperson to say 'this is what you get now', even if it's a bullshit 3 extra days of demo play (which for young teens getting self esteem from their XBox pensu points is a 3 days of extra practice).

That pays for itself in additional presales, which the company is apparently valuing more than the additional sales it would get through the demo play.  That's true for Hoakie McHoakum's overhyped game, but it's also good for the solid megatitles that have their core audience locked from the get-go.  You probably don't need to play the new Halo game to know what it'll be like...  You know if you'll be buying it, and the demo saturation won't affect sales.  Getting a few hundred thousand bucks 2 months early in a frontloaded investment scheme can save a ton of money though.

Hm.  Good explanation.  I can't see anything to argue with there.  >:(
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2009, 09:07:27 pm »

So wait, are you upset that you can't argue with him?

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2009, 04:19:38 pm »

So wait, are you upset that you can't argue with him?

Wouldn't you be?

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2009, 11:56:54 pm »

If I were really angry I wouldn't put a silly little yellow face after my post.  :P

Maybe it's a failure on my part, but I can't really see anything I disagree with in his post, so I can't really argue with him.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2009, 11:59:38 pm »

That's reasonable.
Pages: 1 2 [3]