Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Z level changing!  (Read 458 times)

Lord_Shadow

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNDEAD]
    • View Profile
Z level changing!
« on: September 23, 2008, 06:37:38 pm »

My z level keeps changing. When I'm at my fortress it doesn't happen but after a certain distance from my fortress and i can't see anything i've built (dwarves, fortress, any building I've built) it also helps that i change z levels and have surface land (i like to build on hill sides, valleys, ect.). So for example with my current game i will be inspecting land far from my fortress in a river valley at -3z, then suddenly i get 0z, what?!?. But to get back to my fortress i need to be a -1z, so what do i do, i go up to +2z, then as soon as i can see one of my dwaves anything i've built the proper z level will be displayed. I find this buggish, IDK if it has been reported but thought i would just let people know
Urist McCarpenter cancels rest: QUITSCREWINGWITHMAHBUCKETSYOUSONOFABITCHES!!!
Urist Mccarpenter has gone stark raving mad!
Urist McWalrusCarpenter cancels rest: Has u seen mah bukkit?!

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: Z level changing!
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 06:40:34 pm »

If you're talking about one of those two numbers on the right, that just tells you how many levels above the ground you are.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008, 06:41:29 pm »

I'm sorry if this seems to question your intelligence, but do you know how to change z-levels? Also, proper sentence structure?

Remember, <, > and ? are your friends.

And as unintelligent says, it is relative.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Lord_Shadow

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNDEAD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008, 06:43:32 pm »

yes.. the numbers one the side of the screen that show what z level you are on...

also this happens when my hands are off the keyboard.
I also do know how to change z levels.. been playing that long :(

also my english sucks sry
Urist McCarpenter cancels rest: QUITSCREWINGWITHMAHBUCKETSYOUSONOFABITCHES!!!
Urist Mccarpenter has gone stark raving mad!
Urist McWalrusCarpenter cancels rest: Has u seen mah bukkit?!

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2008, 06:50:35 pm »

As they said, the numbers are your relative distance from the surface. Positive numbers are when you're above the surface and negative numbers for when you are below the surface.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Exponent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008, 07:31:12 pm »

And to clarify even further, where the surface is depends upon what area of the map you are looking at.  If you're looking at the top of a hill, the surface will be high, but if you move over to a river valley, the surface will be low.  And if you moved from the mountain to the river valley without changing z levels, then the number you are referring to will indeed increase, because you are now higher above the surface at that point on the map.  (Either that, or you are closer to the surface, but still underground, or you were underground, but are now above ground.)