Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Moving food  (Read 552 times)

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
Moving food
« on: September 21, 2008, 06:44:24 am »

I've noticed this several times in many fortresses that if I desginate a food stock pile. then later designate a new one (and get rid of the old) that the dwarves will take the food out of the barrel and carry it piece by piece to the new stockpile untill the barrel is empty and then put all the food back in it. The same is true for custom food stockpiles. This gets very annoying as they now do extra work which takes even longer...
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

Rotinaj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Moving food
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 10:53:46 am »

The barrel full of food is just too heavy for one dwarf. With the suggestion polls as they are we might be in for a new hauling update soon, however.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008, 11:19:48 am »

I find that distinctly unlikely, as dwarves are perfectly willing to haul massive lead statues from place to place. It'll take them ages, but they'll do it.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2008, 11:39:40 am »

The thing is, most of the time, these verry same dwarves just hauled these barrels full of food from the wagon to the temporary stockpile, not long before I set up the permanent food stockpiles, and nearly every time its before I've setup any farming/fishing/hunting/ect.
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2008, 12:31:16 pm »

I find that distinctly unlikely, as dwarves are perfectly willing to haul massive lead statues from place to place. It'll take them ages, but they'll do it.

They'll also carry lead bins packed full of lead bars around.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2008, 11:48:10 pm »

And bins full of solid gold blocks. (Gold being heavier than lead, fyi)
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2008, 12:01:55 am »

Re. taking things out of the barrell to move them: I've never noticed that at all. In fact, I often get a situation where I change from more generalized to more specific food stockpiles as my fortress matures, and the dwarves refuse to move some barrels because they have a mixture of items, preferring to leave them un-piled than to take items out. So, yeah. Guess you have the OC dwarves and I have the lazy ones.