Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Butchers and haulers fight over animals  (Read 502 times)

Bodkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Hoondat Report
Butchers and haulers fight over animals
« on: September 14, 2008, 08:07:33 pm »

(I first brought this up on the Dwarf Mode Discussion board, before I realized that it's probably counter to the designer's intentions: http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=24869.0)

The issue arises when an animal is marked for butchering, and then assigned to a cage.  I'm not sure if it has to happen in that order or not, but I brought it about twice through that method.  (The caging was intended as a safeguard, just to keep a kitten from adopting an owner, in case it took the butcher a long time to get around to the task.)

After the butcher took possession of the cat and started hauling it to his workshop, a hauler pursued the butcher and took the cat away from him, and then the two of them began to take turns seizing the cat from one another.  Contrary to my initial report on the other section, the struggle did not end when the hauler got the cat back into the cage; as soon as the butcher took it out, the battle was rejoined, and probably would have gone on indefinitely, until either I unassigned the cat from the cage, or until the butcher got away long enough to kill the cat.

It's actually pretty funny, but after a while you just want your dwarves to quit horsing around and get their asses back to work.

I made a video of it: http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-844-catfight. How's that for detailed bug reporting?

Oh, and since I'm reporting a negative, I'm going to counter that with a positive by adding that I love this game, and thanks for making it.
I have so far executed three dwarves by means of impalement ... for bringing cats into my fortress.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Butchers and haulers fight over animals
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 12:01:36 am »

Yup.  It's kind of annoying, especially given that you can't distinguish animals, so it's hard to figure out which ones you're slaughtering.

000079 □ [dwarf mode][jobs][animal handling]    cage animal and butcher animal can be made to fight over the movement of an animal

Drunken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Butchers and haulers fight over animals
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2008, 10:46:18 am »

I think the bug item should be changed to
000079 □ [dwarf mode][jobs][animal handling]    bring animal to cage/restraint jobs dont cancel properly

I had a different manifestation of the same bug recently:
I assigned a wardog to a rope outside my gate. just as the dwarf was bringing the animal out I set 'dwarves stay indoors'
The job failed to cancel and instead the dwarf just stood there with the animal, never moving until I allowed him outside. He then finished the job as normal.
A stopped clock is right for exactly two infinitessimal moments every day.
A working clock on the other hand is almost never ever exactly right.