Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: First Challenging Fort  (Read 1574 times)

onehellofatable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
First Challenging Fort
« on: October 20, 2008, 01:59:30 am »

So my last fort was doing so nicely nothing could touch it and I wasn't having any more problems, so I decided to start on a harder map. Next to a purple/pink Goblin fortress with the only water on the other side of the mountain. First thing that happens on embark is two dwarves die in a cave-in while building the entrance stairway (I guess there was something a Z level up I didn't notice)... my first attempt at digging into the mountain ended with a flood. Second attempt made it in, and dug up some residences, workshops and storage space. While trying to set up irrigation, I nearly flooded my fort 3 TIMES, and had to seal up and abandon 2 farm plots. I finally get my irrigation working, but the water pressure is so great that it takes forever to dry up enough to plant anything. On top of this a goblin ambush forces me to seal my dwarves in. Didn't get any dwarves in the first immigration wave, but got 8 on the second wave which came shortly after the irrigation flood, and ended up eating all my stockpiles way too fast. So I'm trying to build farms while my dwarves are cancelling to hunt vermin left and right. By the time everyone dies of starvation, I have ONE dwarf left. My leader. He succeeds in planting 4 plump helpets, and goes to sleep. I was thinking he'd make it and manage to get a "home alone" DF style. He woke up, started building the butchery, and went insane! Most fun I've had with a fort yet! I didn't believe "Losing is fun" but dang, it is!  ;D
WGOIMF: Just lost 12 miners (all but 1) to cave ins within the span of an hour mining out a 20x20 pit

......Nothing could be done, it was the will of Armok!

onehellofatable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: First Challenging Fort
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 02:12:43 am »

Oh, just for bonus points. Liason attacks my 3 war dogs with a pick, haha.
WGOIMF: Just lost 12 miners (all but 1) to cave ins within the span of an hour mining out a 20x20 pit

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 02:17:08 am »

Heh, sounds like you could barely complete one bit of fun before you'd discover a whole new kind.

If you want to have a little less fun and a little less success in the future, you could try selling some stone mugs to the merchants for food, or just planting on soft ground so that you don't need to irrigate.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

onehellofatable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 02:28:51 am »

There was no soft ground around me aside from above ground and possibly down by the goblin fort. The trade caravan ended up on the other side of the mountain when I was still digging out my initial settlement, and passed by before I could set up a depot (not that I'd have had anything to trade anyways... well, anvil maybe)... not even sure if they had access anyways. Thanks for the tips though :)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 02:31:54 am by onehellofatable »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 03:34:23 am »

Well, there's always bucket irrigation.  Designate a pool rather then setting up a whole array of mechanisms.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 05:58:23 pm »

There was no soft ground around me aside from above ground and possibly down by the goblin fort.

Did you try making an outdoor moat?  Those can be useful for above ground farming without needing to worry about farmers and woodcutters killed all the time.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2008, 07:33:47 pm »

you know, i lost my first 2D forts to starvation in spring, because my dwarves were too busy hunting vermin to plant fields.
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 

onehellofatable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2008, 10:12:17 pm »

Well, there's always bucket irrigation.  Designate a pool rather then setting up a whole array of mechanisms.
Did this on my first fort and it took FOREVER... didn't end up farming til after the first year, but I'd anticipated it because of how I planned to design the fort and brought a ton of food (if I recall, didn't spend points on any skills aside from my standard 5-7 level of social skills on the leader.
There was no soft ground around me aside from above ground and possibly down by the goblin fort.

Did you try making an outdoor moat?  Those can be useful for above ground farming without needing to worry about farmers and woodcutters killed all the time.
That would have been a good idea, but the only above ground water source was on the other side of a big mountain, and the underground river was a few z levels in... would have taken a screw pump system or something to get it flowing upwards, which would also have taken forever... good idea though. I'm definitely going to use it on the haunted marsh I'm playing now :D
you know, i lost my first 2D forts to starvation in spring, because my dwarves were too busy hunting vermin to plant fields.
Ah well, lesson learned, eh? Also "Oooooooooooooh 2D vet"

dizzyelk

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes kittens for their delicious roasts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2008, 01:35:01 am »

Ha! My first 2D death was starvation, the second a perma-flood, and the third chasm critter invasion and resulting tantrum spiral, I think.
Dwarf Fortress - Bringing out the evil in people since 2006.
Somehow, that fills me more with dread than anticipation.  It's like being told that someone's exhuming your favorite grandparent and they're going to try to make her into a cyborg stripper.

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2008, 06:53:07 pm »

Ah well, lesson learned, eh? Also "Oooooooooooooh 2D vet"

Not quite...

i first started playing not too incredibly long ago, i just went to play 2D afterwards.
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones