Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do i make a roof?  (Read 3358 times)

AmberMac

• Bay Watcher
  • Rawr?
    • View Profile
How do i make a roof?
« on: September 19, 2008, 07:25:31 pm »

Well, Nooby question, I decided to try and stay aboveground, NO minning at all. So i embarked by a river, Started chopping down alot of trees, Made a 15x15 wood walls and flooring, And then i try and place a bed inside, And it then says "Place indoors" Or something to that matter. Does anyone know how to fix this? Or how to make a roof???
"As soon as life start, It ends, there is no meaning, But to live your years, Turn into mulch for the next generation."

Refar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How do i make a roof?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 07:36:37 pm »

You can walk on top of the walls you build and attach roofs there (from the point of view of your worker, whos on top of the wall it will be floor...)

You need to get up irst tho... Build a ramp that you can later deconstruct, or build a staircase iside the building, which you can keep...
Today on Home Improvement TV:
Urist Twolefthand, Dabbling Mechanic, assembles a 10x Crossbow weapon trap.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 08:33:55 pm »

1. Build a ramp next to the wall of a building (on the outside).

2. Press the "go up a z-level" button (defaults to '<', I think).

3. Build floors in the ring of wall segments (from your current z-level, they act as floors).

If it's a multi-story building, you'll want to opt for some stairs instead of ramps, but for a 1-story building, ramps are better since they don't take as long to build as a stairwell.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

RebelZhouYuWu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2008, 12:11:10 am »

Above ground building is very difficult, especially if use wood to make the buildings.  In my current fortress I am making, I only have established about 4 buildings (Meeting hall, Ganary, Dinning Hall/Underground still, Fishery docks) but am using around 1000 lumber for them.  Also with most of my dwarves working on building buildings I have no one on crafts duty so I get very low amount of immigrants (2-3 per season with no immigrants for the frist two years.)

QuantumSawdust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2008, 12:58:44 am »

Additionally, once you build the 'roof' (floors from the second story), you can build walls around THAT level and build another stairwell to get to the third floor and add another 'roof'. In this way you can build some nice towers.

As a side note with staircases - you'll need to first build an 'Up Staircase' - but in order to make it usable you'll have to build a 'Down Staircase directly above the 'Up Staircase' (one z-level higher) in order to connect the two. Luckily, your dwarves can build 'Down Staircases' by standing directly below them.

Ground Floor
#....
#<..
###

Second Floor
.>

you'll have to have the Up Staircase built before it will let you build the Down Staircase above it.
As a side note - anyone know if dragon fire catches constructed wood on fire?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2008, 02:46:52 am by QuantumSawdust »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2008, 01:12:32 am »

No, at the moment all walls and floors are immune to crazy temperatures. This means that you can hold back a flood of magma with wooden walls. This is planned to be implemented (Fire and Lighting arc, if I remember correctly) and is already part of the way there, with if you look in the legends you will get messages of dragons razing hovels.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.