Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Armor Simplification  (Read 1240 times)

Guy Montag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Armor Simplification
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2008, 02:24:10 pm »

I'm honestly confused about how the clothing system works in DF. I tried to read that bzyntine chart on the wiki and it only made be more confused.

Doing some research in Adventure Mode, I found you can layer on ALOT of clothes.
You can wear 2 caps, 1 helm, and 3 hoods, on just your head.
Can wear about 6 layers of chainmail over bareskin

I have no idea how it works in Dwarf mode. I wish the inventory was a little more clear on this.

Also, I don't think civilians should ever have the option of wearing armor while not on duty. Realistically, soldiers didn't wear their armor all the time either in the relevant times either, they only put on their chainmail or whatever when they were actually going into battle. Stuff is hot, heavy and uncomfortable, and there is no way a miner or any other civilian could do their job wearing full-platemail.

I'am happy with just giving my civilian dwarfs +Steel Caps+ to wear, and a nice thick +pig tail jacket+ as their only armor. Giving dwarfs the hunting labor and having them wear leather armor and carry a weapon is good enough, because they would actually have a reason to arm and armor themselves.

I think Civilian dwarves should beable to carry a weapon off-duty though. A tool like the miners or woodcutters for other professions. Everyone back in the middle-ages carried a big dagger around with them. Maybe nobles and others can buy and carry whatever weapon they like in their personality profile. Maybe limit it to one to keep Dwaves from complusively filling their rooms and carrying 20 short swords on their person.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2008, 02:46:04 pm »

I'm honestly confused about how the clothing system works in DF. I tried to read that bzyntine chart on the wiki and it only made be more confused.

Doing some research in Adventure Mode, I found you can layer on ALOT of clothes.
You can wear 2 caps, 1 helm, and 3 hoods, on just your head.
Can wear about 6 layers of chainmail over bareskin

I have no idea how it works in Dwarf mode. I wish the inventory was a little more clear on this.

Also, I don't think civilians should ever have the option of wearing armor while not on duty. Realistically, soldiers didn't wear their armor all the time either in the relevant times either, they only put on their chainmail or whatever when they were actually going into battle. Stuff is hot, heavy and uncomfortable, and there is no way a miner or any other civilian could do their job wearing full-platemail.

I'am happy with just giving my civilian dwarfs +Steel Caps+ to wear, and a nice thick +pig tail jacket+ as their only armor. Giving dwarfs the hunting labor and having them wear leather armor and carry a weapon is good enough, because they would actually have a reason to arm and armor themselves.

I think Civilian dwarves should beable to carry a weapon off-duty though. A tool like the miners or woodcutters for other professions. Everyone back in the middle-ages carried a big dagger around with them. Maybe nobles and others can buy and carry whatever weapon they like in their personality profile. Maybe limit it to one to keep Dwaves from complusively filling their rooms and carrying 20 short swords on their person.

Off-duty weapons for civilians would be nice.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Normandy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2008, 04:10:56 pm »

I'd like to see to it that clothes (and armor) stay on a dead things body. Only held things and sliced-off things will drop. If you do wish to access the clothing/armor, then you interact with the body (the only thing the 'interact' button does as far as I've seen is to fill up your waterskin with water), and a list of all the clothing worn appears. It'd really reduce menu clutter when slaughtering entire villages. Err... Defending entire villages.

In Fortress mode, you could have an option to have your dwarves only remove certain articles of clothing from a corpse (e.g. armor and helmets only, all metal equipment, etc...)

Dwaref

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2008, 09:39:34 pm »

I wrote that chart a good deal of time ago, and everything has undergone some change since then. I'm well aware that it needs some serious formatting to be made easier, but meh. There are other wiki-users besides me.
The procedure which dwarves in Fortress mode use to evaluate what they wear is what i'm most unsure about, and that part on the wiki could be considered outdated. They would happily slap on layer after layer of armor earlier is some unspecified edition, but seem content with less now.
Adventurers can still put on up to 4 chain mail armors though. The math is in the wiki page.

As for the chart, it's not that hard to understand. Armor made of different material counts as either clothing, leather, chain or plate(as specified in DF mode under the military tag), no matter what it actually is. I made a chart since you can't really see all this for yourself, but have to decode tags for armor in the in the RAW files', but printing that and instructions how to decode it would be much more confusing than that chart.

Also, civilians can be assigned armor, but CANNOT USE IT, until they are drafted or made into hunters. Hunters are an exception, and can work as civilians and be assigned any weapon and any type of armor and shield. They used to be restricted to maximum leather armor, but not any more.
If you kill everything on the map(yes after a while you kill all the animals in the region so they stop immigrating), all your dwarves can be hunters and perform normal dwarvenly stuff in full plate mail, hauling around a crossbow. I wouldn't think them dwarfy enough if they weren't.

Also, according to that chart, you shouldn't be able to get civilians to wear steel caps. It's considered Leather armor. But it's been revised a lot and could stand more updating if you're really sure about what you're changing, and understand the raw rags on a whole.
Pig tail jackets  are as good civilian clothing as any i guess, but soldiers really require some more armor in order not to get hurt sparring or in actual combat.

Off-duty weapons for civilians would be nice.
There's a suggestion up for it.
He is somewhat reserved. He prefers to be alone. He doesn't need thrills or risks in life. He is never optimistic or enthusiastic about anything. He has a fertile imagination. He is open-minded to new ideas. He is put off by authority and tradition. He is very straightforward with others. He is very disorganized. He thinks it is incredibly important to strive for excellence. He has very little self-discipline. He takes time when making decisions. He doesn't really care about anything anymore.
Pages: 1 [2]