Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: An easier way to set processor affinity?  (Read 2354 times)

Blacken

• Bay Watcher
  • Orange Polar Bear
    • View Profile
Re: An easier way to set processor affinity?
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2008, 08:03:35 pm »

I can't help but think people are overestimating just how much a speed boost is gained from giving DF its own core.

Ive done it manually before and I get a boost from an average of 15 fps to an average of 20 fps.

This is over 4 cores, which means that the fps without using processor affinity would be much lower (likely about 10) if I had 2 cores.
Only if all three other cores are pegged. The increase is not in any way, shape, or form a linear one.
"There's vermin fish, which fisherdwarves catch, and animal fish, which catch fisherdwarves." - Flame11235

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2008, 05:37:47 am »

This, is damn near what you'd want. It saves profiles for your stuff too. Also, your google-fu is weak. Found that in a mighty two clicks.

Original article: Long URL

Thank you very much, this seems to be what I'm looking for. Ill try it out and get back to you.

Edit: Just tested this and it works perfectly. The google is strong with you.

out of curiosity, what processor do you have?

I don't know off hand. This computer is my parents, not mine.

Weird, Ive asked some friends, they say that its impossible to change core affinity for more applications in the same time in winxp.
So Magnnus, this utility -what Worldwaker has found- works like this or?

Tsuliwaensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2008, 06:19:22 am »

This, is damn near what you'd want. It saves profiles for your stuff too. Also, your google-fu is weak. Found that in a mighty two clicks.

It can set nearly all processes at one click. The easiest way is to "isolate" dwarf fortress. However the program can only change processes you can change manually via the task manager, so a few system processes cannot be changed.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2008, 05:16:11 pm »

It can set nearly all processes at one click. The easiest way is to "isolate" dwarf fortress. However the program can only change processes you can change manually via the task manager, so a few system processes cannot be changed.

Interesting, it looks like that my friends -who I've asked- had no idea about it.  ::)
Im going to download it also, this might be useful later on.

sjmarshy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2008, 06:22:20 pm »

I'm about to give it a go.

zac4213

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2008, 08:50:10 pm »

It's much easier to just give DF it's own core and set the priority to Realtime.

tigrex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2008, 10:37:55 pm »

Don't mess with the Realtime setting unless you know what you're doing.  It can give Windows and co such a low priority that they crash, destroying the only support that keeps DF from crashing down onto the goblins of frustration.

Pages: 1 [2]