Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question about Appointed nobles and Guards in relation to other races  (Read 1013 times)

Greymane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, I have been testing out a few things lately, specifically related towards playing other races. Primarily humans and elves, just to see how they fared and what, if anything, needed editing to make them playable.

Things were generally going okay, but I noticed something somewhat odd while I was playing the test games. No matter what their population reached, neither the humans nor the elves ever had their appointed nobility change in rank. The expedition leader was ALWAYS the expedition leader and never progressed to mayor. Similarly, while the Sheriff appointment did appear as an option when the population reached the proper numbers, it never 'upgraded' to Captain of the Guard and the option to assign people to the Fortress Guard (or rather Town/Forest Guard in this case).

Is there a particular tag that needs to be edited in/out of the other races to open up these appointments and access to a guard-force or is it something hard-coded into the game that only dwarves have access to these?

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
Re: Question about Appointed nobles and Guards in relation to other races
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 05:05:18 pm »

I know dwarves have the [MAYOR] tag.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Mirefrost00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, 05:32:00 pm »

I know dwarves have the [MAYOR] tag.

And so should humans, since their towns always have a mayor in Adventure mode.  I'm running a race based on the Arachnids from the modding guide, but fleshed out with bits from the entity entries for the four main races.  I have them progressing and advancing as the dwarves do.  It might be the [PROGRESS_TRIGGER_X:1] token, where X = POPULATION, PRODUCTION, or TRADE (don't know what the number affects).

Star Weaver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2008, 08:48:11 pm »

Nothing in the default entity has [mayor] but dwarves.

Humans don't have [SITE_LEADER:WHATEVER] but it might default to [SITE_LEADER:MAYOR], i'm pretty sure that's also a job type.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 12:46:46 am »

And so should humans, since their towns always have a mayor in Adventure mode.  I'm running a race based on the Arachnids from the modding guide, but fleshed out with bits from the entity entries for the four main races.  I have them progressing and advancing as the dwarves do.  It might be the [PROGRESS_TRIGGER_X:1] token, where X = POPULATION, PRODUCTION, or TRADE (don't know what the number affects).
The number affects how soon a civ will appear to trade or fight you. For example, if the population one is set to one, they might show up when I have ten dwarves, where if it is set to three they might show up when I have 32. The numbers only go up to five, though.

Nothing in the default entity has [mayor] but dwarves.

Humans don't have [SITE_LEADER:WHATEVER] but it might default to [SITE_LEADER:MAYOR], i'm pretty sure that's also a job type.
The [SITE_LEADER:??] will default to a standard creature if it doesn't exist. If there is the tag [MAYOR] then it just changes the name of the leader to mayor when the population of a town reaches a certain number. Other than that it has no effects.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.