Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: getting rid of all this rock  (Read 2286 times)

Shakkara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: getting rid of all this rock
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2008, 12:09:21 pm »

I build a lot of stuff aboveground and am always out of rock...

BatCountry

• Bay Watcher
  • We can't stop here...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2008, 12:18:57 pm »

I used all of my excess rock to build a floor completely over the top of a magma tube.

Well, that and I'm working on a massive fortified tower for archers on top of my airlock-style trade depot.

Traders get in, goblins stay out.
I intend to see if the gods will strike me down for building a 20 story tower.

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2008, 12:30:43 pm »

I intend to see if the gods will strike me down for building a 20 story tower.

Make a drawbridge near it so you can fling caged goblins at a 20 foot walls.  :D

CptFastbreak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2008, 01:38:53 pm »

I think you can store stone in bins, only the stockpiles are set to accept zero bins by default. At least I had an Ore stockpile with a bin on it after I increased max bins for that one.

Psiclops

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2008, 01:59:36 pm »

10 mason shops set to max Competent, with 8 repeating "rock blocks" tasks. 3-4 other mason shops with Min Skilled (thats competent +1 right?) with no tasks, then use the job manager to create the furniture/statues/etc you need. Add mason skill to everyone that you can spare from other jobs.

I'm up to 12k rock blocks now. Same problem, different item. :)

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2008, 07:31:22 pm »

I'm building an Aztec inspired pyramid. When it's done, I'll put my goblin cages on top, station my champion with the artifact mace up there, and release the goblins. I figure that he'll probably knock at least one of them flying off the pyramid, and it'll be sort of like how the Aztecs would throw sacrificial victims down the stairs of their pyramids.

Anyway, right now I have a flooding problem, and I expect that if I sacrifice enough victims to the Sun-God, he'll help me dam my river.

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2008, 08:55:49 pm »

I do the usual stuff: block it up, make stone crafts/mechanisms/furniture, fire catapults, etc.  I usually wind up throwing a few thousand under an atom-smasher or into lava as well though.

However, I try not to make big constructions out of raw rock if I can help it.  This is because my main problem with excess rock is not that it's ugly or gets in the way (which hiding or dumping can take care of, respectively), it's that when you have a few thousand stones laying around, accidentally going to the "stones" part of the stocks screen will make you freeze up until it counts it all.  Big constructions just change where the rock is, and thus doesn't help that issue at all :(

I think you can store stone in bins, only the stockpiles are set to accept zero bins by default. At least I had an Ore stockpile with a bin on it after I increased max bins for that one.
You can't store stone in bins.  You can store blocks in bins, but not raw stone.

I've noticed that if there's a stockpile that accepts bins but doesn't have any, the dwarves will go put one there.  My guess is that that's what made them put a bin in your stone stockpile after you maxed out bins for it.
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2008, 09:03:20 pm »

d-b-h makes me so goddamn happy

duro

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2008, 06:13:22 am »

d-b-h makes me so goddamn happy
This exactly. And a goddamn quantum dump (with an access door for nobles).
If slavery, barbarism and desolation are to be called peace, men can have no worse misfortune.

MetBoy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2008, 12:48:24 pm »

You can't store stone in bins.  You can store blocks in bins, but not raw stone.

I've noticed that if there's a stockpile that accepts bins but doesn't have any, the dwarves will go put one there.  My guess is that that's what made them put a bin in your stone stockpile after you maxed out bins for it.
What happens is if there is a stockpile that accepts bins, AND there are no empty bins in that stockpile, a dwarf will gladly put an empty unsigned bin into that stockpile, 'for later use.'
Example: make a gem stockpile, make a bin, the bin is put in the stockpile, and when you mine out some gems, they are put in that bin.
Pages: 1 [2]