Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [40c] Active Military Dwarves Refuse to Move  (Read 603 times)

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
[40c] Active Military Dwarves Refuse to Move
« on: September 06, 2008, 11:25:11 am »

This has been a LONG running issue for me, and I never thought to submit it.  Due to a recent event, I figured I'd finally go ahead and send it in:

I had a hammerlord get injured fighting undead camels.  He was put on bedrest for like, three years with broken legs.  I forgot about him, until all of a sudden he had healed and was walking around the mess hall.  He did everything that a normal Dwarf should, eat, spar, drink, sleep, buy stuff.  But if I activated him he would stand perfectly still and never move.  He also had no interest in fighting, never moving towards enemies that might come within range.

Any Dwarf that was put in a squad with him - either under him, or as his leader - would do the "Stand still" trick too.  As soon as they were removed, they'd begin to act normally again.  Over time, he developed a relationship with another military Dwarf and I put them in a squad together and forgot about them.  Something has rubbed off on that second dwarf, because now he has stopped moving too.  They aren't in the same squad, and as soon as he's activated he refuses to budge from his spot until that setting is turned off.

I've got a save available if you want it.  This happens any time you activate those Dwarves, so it's not something you have to wait a specific time for. 

EDIT: I've run a couple tests, and there are some interesting things.  If I take the Dwarves and tell them to have no weapon, and no armor, then activate them, they strip all their stuff where they're standing and don't move.  If I then tell them to get different weapons and a different class of armor, and they're still activated, they'll run off and collect everything - when they get their last piece of equipment they stand perfectly still and never move to their squad designation point. 
« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 02:27:38 pm by Heavy Flak »

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: [40c] Active Military Dwarves Refuse to Move
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 10:39:49 pm »

Did you try messing with their patrol route to see if that snaps them out of it?  Something might be lurking there.

If that doesn't work, you can go ahead and send it in.  I'll need the region folder in some kind of zip/rar/7z, and any new objects that were added to the raw folder.  If it's less than 20 megs, you can send it to toadyone@bay12games.com.  You can also try The Dwarf Fortress File Depot which has a special section for bugged saves.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Ryo

• Bay Watcher
  • Store item in stockpile
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 06:31:37 am »

I have the same problem in 40d. One of my champions died from thirst, and I found his corpse in the barracks. Another champion, who was starving, dehydrated, drowsy and (unsurprisingly) unhappy was on his way to get a drink. I reloaded a backup save, and found them both in the square where the corpse was. All other members of their squad were at there station (neither of these dwarves were the squad leader). They were not sparring, just standing still. They would sometimes have the 'drink' job, but still wouldn't move and would go back to 'soldier' straight away. Strangely, after one had died, the other suddenly became able to move and drink.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=545 <- save. The two stuck dwarves are Edem onulfash and onul Oltarathel (I left out accents on the names)

Ryo

• Bay Watcher
  • Store item in stockpile
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2008, 03:45:20 pm »

New save and new info - http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=557

The two stuck dwarves this time are onul Oltarathel (Yep, him again) and Oddom Ardeseral.

This time, I checked their inventories. One of them was holding a helm, the other was holding a boot (can't remember which dwarf was holding which item). I designated both of these items to be dumped, and they were both promptly removed, which allowed Oddom to escape to the drinks stockpile. Though, strangely, onul still can't move, and according to his status icon, he is wrestling. So I'm guessing this is a wrestler-related bug, which may be different to Heavy Flak's.

Edit: By the way, the save is from before I dumped the items. I think...