Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: ever-smoking artifacts [40d]  (Read 643 times)

namer

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
ever-smoking artifacts [40d]
« on: September 11, 2008, 05:38:08 pm »

I have a pair of artifacts that were exposed to fire and now emit smoke constantly, without being marked as burning.  This may be related to the fact that I toggle temperature in the init file frequently: my defenses rely on it but the frame rate is unacceptably low for most play with it turned on.  In an additional twist, the fire itself had mysterious origins.

The sequence of events was as follows:
1. A siege occurred with temperature turned off.
2. I dropped the siegers into magma and then turned temp on.
3. A stockpile quite distant from the magma caught fire, but I can't be *sure* that this is itself a bug as I wasn't keeping a close eye on it (though I can't see any mechanism by which a burning item could have reached the stockpile.)
4. Once I thought everything had stopped burning, I turned off temp again, saw that an object was burning, and turned it back on.
5. The burning object was consumed, but I still had smoke rising from the stockpile.  I found that it was a leather artifact that wasn't marked as burning.
6. I later noticed a second smoking artifact in another stockpile, also not burning.

I have a save file if it'll help.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: ever-smoking artifacts [40d]
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 06:06:09 pm »

The temperature changes could confuse it.  I'm not sure what's up.  I could take a look at the save if you like.  I'll need the region folder in some kind of zip/rar/7z, and any new objects that were added to the raw folder.  If it's less than 20 megs, you can send it to toadyone@bay12games.com.  You can also try The Dwarf Fortress File Depot which has a special section for bugged saves.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

namer

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 11:58:29 pm »

Sadly I decided that I needed to stop playing DF for a while--until the next release, at least--lest it destroy me. Given that my will is weak I felt it necessary to delete all of my saves.  My hat is off to you for making such an engrossing game!

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 01:42:32 am »

It's amusing how often saves are destroyed.