Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: a few things, probably already suggested  (Read 1347 times)

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: a few things, probably already suggested
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2008, 03:27:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by madpeople:
<STRONG>well, even though the hole is in the middle, not the whole top section, if the water is above that hole, then it is under more pressure, so will be forced through at a faster rate</STRONG>

Yes, it will flow past fortifications, but I don't see it flowing from one fortification to another.

madpeople

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2008, 05:37:00 pm »

well, if the first has a hole in, and water gets through it, and the second has a hole in, i don't see why water shouldn't get through the second. arrows can, and if a solid lump of wood/metal/bone can, then water can too.

*shrugs*

i'm not entirely sure if what you are suggesting is like this
if a 2 layer thick fortification like
topview

code:

~ww
~ww
~## ->
~ww
~ww

w = wall
~ = water
# = fortification

would only let water through in the direction of the arrow
a there would be a hole from one side to the other, but if for some reason you built something like
code:

~www
~w## <- hole
~w#w
~### -> water  <-hole
~w#w
~w## <- hole
~www

as the hole only goes right through it from one side to the other, water wouldn't flow up/down the fortification in the wall since the holes are left - right (diagonal in corners) so would only flow out the middle hole

?
though that just seems to be complicating things.

i guess its all down to what you think a fortification is

FuIru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2008, 05:58:16 pm »

4th
"all dwarfs stay indoors" etc
the "indoors" seems to actually mean "under ground"<P>i have some towers with siege engines in which are built outside, i've put floor over their tops so the areas with siege engines in are marked "light","inside" and "above ground"
but if i change it to anything other that "all dwarfs allowed outside" then my siege operators abandon their machines as they are in a place their not allowed and retreat underground, even though they were in an area marked "inside" and so is the way to where they are, its just that it is also marked "above ground"<P>it would be nice to allow them to be in their towers but not have everyone else wandering around outside not inside.
perhaps make the list
all dwarfs allowed outside
soldiers allowed outside others inside
all dwarfs inside
soldiers allowed inside others underground
all dwarfs underground<P>(again, a "do not ever stand on this area" traffic designation may be useful here)<P>

Has there been any more talk about this one? I was thinking of adding it to Eternal Voting.

I'm thinking either Indoors should mean "Inside" rather than "not light aboveground", or the light ray should be recalculated for the given X,Y column of tiles when a wall or floor is built.

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2008, 06:05:29 pm »

Don't necro a thread 9 months old.

There were a lot of "Safe Area" suggestions and i am sure they are in the Eternal Voting.
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

FuIru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2008, 06:16:32 pm »

Don't necro a thread 9 months old.

There were a lot of "Safe Area" suggestions and i am sure they are in the Eternal Voting.

Thought it better to reuse the thread than create a new one saying essentially the same thing.

I suppose I could support the "Safe Area" suggestion, but it seems to me that the "Stay Indoors" feature was supposed to serve that purpose, and I don't especially look forward to designating every section of an above-ground fortress as safe.

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2008, 06:28:09 pm »

I also think that just improving "Stay Indoors" feature is the best idea.
Make it automatically designate as safe all areas unaccesible from the edges of the map (areas with complete walls around them, accesible only by doors etc.) or underground areas built by player (so excluding chasms etc.).
Then let the player designate / undesignate parts of that area to make the area fit to the actual needs.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 06:36:48 pm by Rafal99 »
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.
Pages: 1 [2]