Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [40d] Loose stone value not calculated right?  (Read 1336 times)

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
[40d] Loose stone value not calculated right?
« on: September 14, 2008, 03:22:10 pm »

I started a new fort and very carefully mined one one block at a time, checking the value of the fort on the stocks screen each time it unearthed a new stone block on the floor. I have it modded so that obsidian is worth 6 each, and my fortress value goes up by 18 rather than 6 each time, adding to the Other Objects value. Thus it seems to me that it's adding 3 times the value of your loose stone rather than the normal value of it, artificially inflating your fortress worth. Anyone else notice this?

Cavalcadeofcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [40d] Loose stone value not calculated right?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 03:51:35 pm »

That's actually correct. Rough stone is worth thrice the material cost. Reference the wiki.

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 03:53:04 pm »

It is actually much worse then that.  The fortress worth has many things counted multiple times.

For example create a piece of armor.  It is counted in the wealth as a clothing/garb.  Direct one of your military to start wearing that class of armor, once they put it on it is counted in clothing/garb and held/worn.

In the case of mining your obsidian, the stone is counted in other objects, the floor is counted in architecture, and the third location is actually the duplicate.  I am not entirely sure which category it is, but the first 2 is by design.
"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 04:31:10 pm »

Actually, just mining out a room does not change your fortress worth. If I mine out a block in obsidian that does not leave a stone behind, my fortress value does not increase. As far as I can tell by the wiki, too, it makes no sense that a block of stone counts three times in your fortress value screen (ie. a 9-value obsidian block will increase your fortress value by a whopping 27) while if you check it with k + enter, it has it listed as normal value (9).

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 07:11:49 pm »

non-ore non-econonmic, non-spoiler stone is:
material value 1
item value(for stone) 3

obsidian is
material value _3_
item value(for stone) 3

any item made of pure obsidian is 3x the value of most other pure stone(like microline, gabbro, puddingstone, granite ect).

also, stone items made from pure "ore" such as native silver or native gold are just as valueble as the pure metal version.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 08:14:48 pm »

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2008, 09:23:04 pm »

non-ore non-econonmic, non-spoiler stone is:
material value 1
item value(for stone) 3

obsidian is
material value _3_
item value(for stone) 3

any item made of pure obsidian is 3x the value of most other pure stone(like microline, gabbro, puddingstone, granite ect).

also, stone items made from pure "ore" such as native silver or native gold are just as valueble as the pure metal version.

Yes, that's right.. so a chunk of raw obsidian on the floor is value 9. This is correct.

Why, when you mine it out, does it increase your fortress wealth by 27? This has nothing to do with the type of stone in particular but the fact that they are increasing fortress wealth by an arbitrary 3x.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 08:15:32 am »

non-spoiler stone

I lol'ed

*cough*ADAMAN--*Gets taken away by spoiler police**cough*
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Cavalcadeofcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2008, 09:25:09 am »

Two questions:

1) Did you mod the game so that obsidian had a value of 6 or so that it has a value of 2, before the 3x multiplier?
2) Are you looking at total fortress wealth or wealth from "other items", the one that raw materials fall under? Mining will increase architecture value as well as yielding stone.

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2008, 12:02:21 pm »

Two questions:

1) Did you mod the game so that obsidian had a value of 6 or so that it has a value of 2, before the 3x multiplier?
2) Are you looking at total fortress wealth or wealth from "other items", the one that raw materials fall under? Mining will increase architecture value as well as yielding stone.

1) Obsidian has a value of 2 in the raws. When you check the item, it has a value of 6. Other stones have a value of 3. I wanted it to be worth less so my fortress wealth doesn't go up as quickly.

2) "Other Items". I should also point out that mining does not increase total architecture value. I very carefully mined one block at a time to check value on dropping stone and when it did not drop a chunk of obsidian, the fortress value did not increase whatsoever in any category. It only changed when obsidian was left behind.

Edit: Huh, I started an entirely new fort and when I mined out some obsidian near a magma tube it tallied it up in fortress worth properly as 6 when it dropped. I'll try to remember what I did to make it triple from earlier.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 12:18:52 pm by Teldin »

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2008, 02:21:18 pm »

1) Obsidian has a value of 2 in the raws. When you check the item, it has a value of 6. Other stones have a value of 3. I wanted it to be worth less so my fortress wealth doesn't go up as quickly.

2 * [It_Made_of_Obsidian_Material_Multiplier_of_3] = 6.

In changing that 2 to a 6 you increased its value by a factor of 3, instead of decreasing it.

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2008, 02:50:07 pm »

2 * [It_Made_of_Obsidian_Material_Multiplier_of_3] = 6.

In changing that 2 to a 6 you increased its value by a factor of 3, instead of decreasing it.

Does nobody understand English?

I did not change anything to 6.

The ONLY thing I did was change the value, in the raws, of obsidian from 3 to 2.

Then the raw rocks that are left behind from mining are worth 6 instead of 9. This is what I was trying to do. It worked fine.

However, on that particular game I was playing, mining the rocks out made my fortress value increase by 18 rather than 6. The value of the rocks, after the 3x obsidian bonus, was 6. I cannot make this any clearer without resorting to pictures.

THIS IS NOT GODDAMN ROCKET SCIENCE PEOPLE

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2008, 03:00:28 pm »

Are you still experiencing this problem in that game? Sounds like you should upload a save so people can see exactly what's going on.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2008, 03:28:59 pm »

However, on that particular game I was playing, mining the rocks out made my fortress value increase by 18 rather than 6. The value of the rocks, after the 3x obsidian bonus, was 6. I cannot make this any clearer without resorting to pictures.

Well excuse me for not understanding everything that you did.  I mean, honestly you said you modded Obsidian to be worth 6, not changed the raws so that the base value was 2 instead of 3 (there is a difference that unless stated is easy to overlook and compound the issue).  Having not stated that this was the value AFTER the material multiplier it was assumed that the material multiplier was what was causing the problem.

Rememer: Forum users are idiots and will twist your words to mean whatever it is they want them to mean.