Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dwarven Artistic Motifs  (Read 2972 times)

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Artistic Motifs
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2008, 08:05:39 am »

You think that's bad? Read the boatmurdered saga. Sankis engraved elephants EVERYWHERE. And I mean EVERYWHERE. And they didn't even do something funny like fall 2 z levels into a trade depot and explode.

Yep, read it. Sankis was a hero.

Then he threw a tantrum and killed the entire fort.

"DID I MENTION HE'S ON FUCKING FIRE?!"
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Appelgren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2008, 10:40:07 am »

I love how DF actually will notice and remember stuff like the falling wagon. Great story.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2008, 01:36:54 pm »

Makes for a fun fort when your engraver has an unhealthy obsession on tentacle demons and the embracing thereof

Charlemagne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Justice City Recovery Center
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2008, 06:56:06 pm »

That's what I love about this game. Every time you think you have a handle on it it'll do something to surprise you. I had no idea the dwarves would have remembered the wagon falling until the first engraving. Before this all my forts were covered in images of dwarves killing and being killed by goblins and dwarves engraving pictures of dwarves killing and being killed by goblins.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2008, 07:41:55 pm »

Man, my engravers are all lame.  I get one masterpiece mug, a masterpiece engraving of it being made, then a hall of mirrors as every single engraving is either a depiction of that, a engraving of a dwarf engraving, or a depiction of an engraving of a dwarf engraving.

Do seem to get bats and bats surrounding things pretty often though, in lots of different fortresses.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2008, 04:03:43 am »

I settled on a gob tower and got wiped out immediatly. Thanks to all their trinkets (most of them owned by an elf kidnapped in 3 with over 500 kills) i got a reclaim party of a full 150 dwarves. 14 of them survived of which 5 had to be put down. Also, every single animal was dead. The elf personaly killed about 20 dwarves before falling from exhaustion and subsequently being hacked apart. I decide to engave the tunnels below the towers.
Guess what?
The dwarves are traveling
The dwarves are laboring
The dwarf is surrounded by dwarves
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2008, 07:34:05 am »

Hey guys, analyze this:

A dwarf engraved a stone floor with a picture of himself engraving a stone floor.

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2008, 07:45:13 am »

A dwarf engraved a stone floor with a picture of himself engraving a stone floor.

Urist McEngraver:"I find myself such a good engraver, I admired the way I'm engraving this tile. What if I stopped my original plan, and started engraving myself engraving myself engraving myself engraving... You get the picture, I guess."

I've had an artefact with something alike on my current fortress:
This is a Birchen chair. All craftsdwarship is of the highest quality. This object menaces with spikes of Oak and turtle bone. On the item is an image of two Ashs in Ash. On the item is an image of a Birchen chair in Sunstone.

Note that this is my first wooden chair in my fortress.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Loctavus

• Bay Watcher
  • British Hammerdwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2008, 08:59:48 am »

The first time I actually discovered how in-depth these images were was following the death of a miner. He got killed, one of the original seven, by a rogue mountain goat when it and it's buddies wandered into my fort. My guys were all unhappy about that, so I decided some engravings would cheer them up.

I checked the first hallway, finding the usual collection of odd things they like to engrave, then I come across a dwarf and a mountain goat. The goat is striking the dwarf down.

The funniest one I saw was ones of one of my early farmers drowning. He went into a pond to rescue a barrel of booze that fell in there when I had the cart dismantled.

Also, in my current fort they've adopted three fisher berries as their group symbol and have started engraving that onto things. Funnily enough, fisher berries have been a large part of their diet for at least ten years.... coincidence?

There was another one of someone admiring gauntlets. I did some detective work and found out that the person engraved there turned out to be my clerk. She was a friend of the engraver and liked gauntlets! This is in the Sherriff's room though, but he and the clerk are friends too. Gripping stuff.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 09:10:32 am by Loctavus »
Tea and -Elf Tallow Biscuits- anyone?

YolkFolk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2008, 09:45:59 am »

My two legendary Clothiers are married to each other.

The wife detests cockroaches, and all the cloth images that the husband sews onto his masterpiece cloaks are either of cockroaches, or of his wife being scared by cockroaches. The wife tends to depict images of their mutual friend, the mayor. I like to think that they have back and forth conversations and arguments not in words, but in pictures sewn onto cloaks.

RebelZhouYuWu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2008, 05:57:39 pm »

I had one fort near a chasm that was filled with engravens of what I beileved happened to be a massive war between the goblins and and the gaint cave swallows, it could be dued to the fact that I have about 5 named gaint cave swallows on the map.
Pages: 1 [2]