Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Adventure Mode - Travel  (Read 610 times)

Swiftfreddy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Adventure Mode - Travel
« on: September 16, 2008, 02:13:12 pm »

I did a quick search and I am surprised that I didn't find any topics on this.
Sorry if this has already been mentioned despite my searching and also if it is already in the to-do list (I didn't want to search through all of the development page to see if it was already there :/)

Basically, I think that `Map` [T]ravel shouldn't Heal Major wounds and shouldn't get rid of hunger, thirst etc.
Instead I think any major wound (Accept Lopped off and other exceptions) should heal from bed rest (lighter wounds - bruises etc - heal through turns anyway) because travelling day and night isn't exactly going to help.
Thirst/hunger/drowsiness should be gained when travelling and when your adventurer gets thirsty/hungry/drowsy it should warn you to stop and eat, drink or sleep - if you keep travelling you could die from starvation ETC.

I know I could always travel normally without using the T option but I would rather be able to stop all that needless arrow-key bashing by `Quick` travelling realistically (thirst/hunger/sleep needed on the way) . . and still encouter any creatures on the way. .

If some people prefer the easier way then maybe it could be optionable (options menu - turn Realistic Travelling on/off for example?)

I Feel that this would add to the fun+challenge of adventure mode.
Thanks in advance for any comments. .
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 02:19:15 pm by Swiftfreddy »

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure Mode - Travel
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 02:20:47 pm »

Adventurer mode, right now, is more for "in-person" testing of major new features than it is for serious gameplay. A lot remains to be implemented, including realistic handling of wounds. Right now, though, allowing you to heal nearly anything by traveling makes the game much more playable, as it's very easy to get injured with wounds that, in dwarf mode, would take months to heal.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Swiftfreddy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 02:30:51 pm »

I understand.
I have explored many fortresses and I must admit that I wouldn't want to have to find a bed to heal all the wounds I may have accumilated from the new fortress dwellers but thats what came to mind when I added the Optionable implementation `switch`.
With the amount of development on Adventure Mode in the Development notes I think it will become more of a Game mode in itself rather than just a feature for Dwarf Fortress Mode.
Perhaps then this would be suggested again.

Thanks,
 ;)

Lazer Bomb

• Bay Watcher
  • Sine! Cosine! TANGENT!
    • View Profile
    • Homepage 60☼
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 03:34:15 pm »

I think it needs to get rid of hunger at least untill you can actualy cook meat and pick up berries.
Kagus: "Still, demonic spelunking is always a promising idea."