Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Critical Hits w/ Ranged Weapons  (Read 1007 times)

Taritus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Critical Hits w/ Ranged Weapons
« on: September 11, 2008, 05:19:13 pm »

Working on something, and it would work all the better if I could make a ranged weapon with a critical boost.  Does anyone know if the critical hits would occur when the user is using a ranged attack or only when they're using the melee attack?

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
Re: Critical Hits w/ Ranged Weapons
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 05:30:54 pm »

I'm thinking you need to put the boost on the ammo, but it might be they've got a fixed crit. boost. I don't think so, but they might. I'm not sure.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2008, 02:05:42 am »

Working on something, and it would work all the better if I could make a ranged weapon with a critical boost.  Does anyone know if the critical hits would occur when the user is using a ranged attack or only when they're using the melee attack?

I already often see legendary champion dwarves in adamantine plate mail get killed by a single arrow from a kobold bowman. Same goes for megabeasts and demons. I really don't feel ranged weapons need a buff--but if you feel otherwise more power to you.
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2008, 08:41:25 am »

They would only occur on the melee attacks. Anything you do to the crossbow will have no effect on ranged attacks other than the [RANGED...] token. Anything you do to the ammo will effect your ranged attacks, though.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Taritus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2008, 11:06:06 am »

Okay, I guess my question is now: Can the [CRIT_BOOST] token be applied to ammo?

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 02:05:24 am »

Well, test it and find out.

That'll require labor, and you'll get bored of testing it on your test worlds and just wait for a person to tell you whether or not, it works.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2008, 02:07:56 am »

Well, test it and find out.

That'll require labor, and you'll get bored of testing it on your test worlds and just wait for a person to tell you whether or not, it works.
It wouldn't take that long to test. All you would have to do is add the tag and then gen a world. If you then checked the error log files, it would tell you if it didn't recognize the token. If no message shows up, then it works.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.