Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trash old clothes  (Read 878 times)

codezero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Trash old clothes
« on: September 17, 2008, 02:23:34 am »

Swap worn clothes with new clothes if available. Auto-mark swapped old clothes for dumping and remove owned flag. Reinstate (un)happy thoughts about clothes.

Can I add this suggestion to eternal voting or is it 'being worked on'?

Also, would it hurt to make dwarves dump owned stuff if so marked? Maybe the owned flag could just be removed when marked for dumping?

Dump it damn you! I'm your GOD!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Trash old clothes
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 06:33:17 am »

I say save it until there is a better way of getting clothing for a whole fortress... such as being able to enlargen the clothes Goblins drop... or a Tailor shop that would do all the work for you as long as you feed it cloth.

codezero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, 06:41:01 am »

It's fairly easy to repeat build all the clothing items, or Job manager.

Just seems like not much work to (re)implement a fairly major portion of the game.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2008, 06:53:24 am »

"It's fairly easy to repeat build all the clothing items, or Job manager"

Congradulations, you made 1000 pairs of socks!

Now if "Make a full suit" or "Make clothes according to Dwarven Needs" was available, in and out the job manager, then your suggestion would be the Opex of usefulness rather then a way to fill your fort to the brim with ratty clothing.

codezero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2008, 07:08:51 am »

Well make a full suit (though there are 3 different types of the same apparal in some cases) and according to need are good ideas in themselves, but I don't see how the fort would fill up with ratty clothing without them. My suggestion just allows owned clothing to be dumped, quite different to clothing lying around everwhere.

And besides, when I say repeat build I mean filling up the whole joblist, with basically a full suit. If you had 1000 pairs of socks, you'd also have 1000 pairs of shoes, which would require 10,000 cloth (10 times 1000).

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2008, 07:31:41 am »

Swap worn clothes with new clothes if available. Auto-mark swapped old clothes for dumping and remove owned flag. Reinstate (un)happy thoughts about clothes.

Yes, we're all aware that it's a bug right now that dwarves don't do this.  Hence why the unhappy thought was disabled until Toady gets around to fixing it.

makar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2008, 07:38:45 am »

Well about dealing with "old" clothing, how about a new workshop:
Paper and parchment. Being used by
(some of the) nobility (desired)
mayor (desired, but required for tradetreaties)
manager (for efficient processing of orders)
clerk (required for efficient counting)

wood ->
or
cloth ->                          -> paper
or
Old clothes ->

raw hide (tanned hides perhaps) -> parchment

Designation: M (melt)

Possible next level of workshops (if more are needed)
Next level of workshops, scribes (just a table as office?) (printing press is too modern) and bookbinder (shop)

requirement for the scribes would be dye (ink), use of multiple dyes would produce a better book.

edit:
Hmm perhaps something like this is already to some extent possible through the raws, except for the "owner" flag. It would be another way to get rid of all that (narrow) clothing.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 07:40:46 am by makar »

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2008, 11:44:45 am »

If owned clothing would simply rot away to nothing after a certain number of years, the problem would fix itself.

For instance, meat rots after a fixed amount of time. Make clothing do the same thing, though no miasma and it only rots if its owned by someone. After 5 years of ownership, the clothing rots away to nothing and simply vanishes from the game.

Little to no micromanagement required from the player, though some indication that clothing is needed might be helpful. Perhaps a fashion adviser noble? Or this noble could also be responsible for removing old and tattered clothing while making mandates to cloth all of those naked dwarves.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2008, 11:46:45 am »

"Perhaps a fashion adviser noble?"

Alright FINE you convinced me to make another suggestion...

codezero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2008, 10:01:18 pm »

Urist 'Carson'  Unolfeb cancels Attend Party: Mandating =<<pink cave spider silk mittens>>=

Psitticine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2008, 12:01:16 pm »

Obviously, a dwarf could try to claim a clothing item to replace a worn one, leaving the old one behind as non-owned.  An option to auto-designate worn clothing to be dumped, perhaps with multiple levels of sensitivity to determine how worn the clothing needs to be first, would be nice.

If the dwarf can't find appropriate clothing to claim, a job to build a replacement item could be automatically queued up at a tailor.  I don't think the requesting dwarf could claim the upcoming item (as it doesn't exist yet) so there's a problem there.  Either he'll spam the tailors with requests or has to know he has already sent in an order.  I don't think jobs are marked in any way to support that right now.  I suppose the tailor shop could refuse auto-orders for goods it is already making, but that has problems as well, in that resupplying multiple dwarfs would become a slower process.

I could see a lot of potential in having the ability to flag a job's output as being for a specific owner.  It could allow making equipment (steel armor, for example) for specific dwarves, as well as filling in the missing link in the clothing chain above.  Does anybody know if such a thing is planned?  I couldn't spot it in the dev notes.