Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [40c] Soap bridges  (Read 966 times)

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
[40c] Soap bridges
« on: September 23, 2008, 08:55:57 pm »

Building a bridge out of soap uses the architecture skill and give experience to the architecture skill as it should.  But it also requires masonry, and doesn't give experience towards masonry (or soap making) and its building quality isn't affected by masonry (or soap making) either.

Not that building a bridge out of soap makes much sense to begin with anyway.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [40c] Soap bridges
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 09:39:22 pm »

This is true for all constructions that require masonry, to my knowledge. You can only get masonry experience at the mason's workshop.

Doesn't mean it isn't a bug, mind you.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 06:18:54 pm »

This is true for all constructions that require masonry, to my knowledge. You can only get masonry experience at the mason's workshop.

Doesn't mean it isn't a bug, mind you.

Still, a dwarf's masonry skill affects the quality of the construction.  It didn't, and neither did a dwarf's soap making skill.

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 12:55:07 am »

Building metal supports gives the dwarf that comes to finish them points in the Metalcrafting skill. My Weaponsmith (with zero other labors turned on) is a Dabbling Metalcrafter after building 14 metal supports.
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008, 12:43:23 pm »

Hunh -- clever. A way to train up metalcrafting without using fuel or losing metal (since you can deconstruct the support without waste). I'll have to remember that one.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2008, 04:39:58 pm »

Actually anything that requires architecture should train the person that builds it in a skill.  The skill required is based on the material used, and the skill trained tends to match.

The amount trained is extremely small though.  You would have legendary architects before you managed to get a talented mason or metal crafter.

I believe soap is classed as a bar, and therefore probably uses metal crafting.  The orginal poster should try building a bunch of things out of soap (archery targets, supports, etc) and see if dwarves gain metal crafting skill.
"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2008, 03:40:00 pm »

Dwarf fortress: Where building stuff out of soap is not a community joke.

I love this forum.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!