Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishing is REALLY Important  (Read 1424 times)

HisMajestyBOB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fishing is REALLY Important
« on: September 11, 2008, 09:33:22 pm »

So I have two dwarfs fishing out of the river in front of my fortress when, about a dozen tiles to the east, my military encounters an ambush. The goblins, being military geniuses, fire upon the fisherdwarves instead of the angry Swordsdwarves bearing down on them. Their first few arrows hit the fisherdwarves pet cat, killing the poor thing. The dwarves keep fishing. Another arrow hits one of the poor dwarves in the lung, knocking him unconscious. His fellow fisher, unperturbed, keeps fishing. The wounded dwarf eventually regains consciousness and then, while still wounded, resumes fishing.

Really now, I've got plenty of food! I wouldn't be surprised if fisherdwarves placed fishing as a higher priority over death, coming back to life when killed and sitting on the riverbanks, catching skeletal carp...

DonerKebab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fishing is REALLY Important
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 10:06:23 pm »

The goblins were obviously trying to take out your supply of bones so your marksdwarfs would have problems training.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 03:02:19 am »

When it comes to fishing and pig tail socks, dwarves are a very determined lot.

JujuBubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 03:45:49 am »

Wait until the start tantruming because the battle scared away the fish :)

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 02:00:04 pm »

Wait until the start tantruming because the battle scared away the fish :)

Fish aren't important when fishing. It's the company. Wait until they notice their cat's a goner...
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Bryan Derksen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 02:54:07 pm »

I had a fort once where, in the interests of efficiency, I started letting magma come down a long magmaduct while I was still in the process of digging out the reservoir it would fill. Then a major goblin ambush  happened, forcing me to evacuate the miners while I fought it off. Fortunately I wasn't that reckless, I'd built an emergency diversion floodgate I could open to prevent the magma from entering the workplace. The diversion exited a cliff right over the brook, coincidentally right below the plain where the major fighting with the goblins was going on.

So there's this fisherdwarf down in the brook. The sounds of battle are raging from just a couple Z levels above, just out of sight over the top of the cliff. There's a lavafall pouring down into the brook, ultimately surrounding his tile on three sides with lava. He refused to budge. I managed to win the battle and stop the lava in time before he was killed, so he spent a while longer sitting on the one brook tile remaining in a field of steaming obsidian until he finished fishing.

He didn't catch anything.

iskurthi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2008, 04:52:34 pm »

So there's this fisherdwarf down in the brook. The sounds of battle are raging from just a couple Z levels above, just out of sight over the top of the cliff. There's a lavafall pouring down into the brook, ultimately surrounding his tile on three sides with lava. He refused to budge. I managed to win the battle and stop the lava in time before he was killed, so he spent a while longer sitting on the one brook tile remaining in a field of steaming obsidian until he finished fishing.

He didn't catch anything.

It's not wether you catch anything or not, it's the simple joy of fishing. The warm feeling you get inside from... no, no wait that's magma...

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2008, 07:34:02 pm »

It's not wether you catch anything or not, it's the simple joy of fishing. The warm feeling you get inside from... no, no wait that's magma...

Hmm... Magma fish?

*rushes to the raws*

EDIT: after a quick preliminary test, it appears magma can't be set as a fishing zone. = (
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 07:35:57 pm by Untelligent »
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2008, 07:50:03 pm »

Hmm... Magma fish?

*rushes to the raws*

EDIT: after a quick preliminary test, it appears magma can't be set as a fishing zone. = (

Magma fishing is hard when you use your hands to do it.

The joy of fishing is your mastery over the fish. I'm sure he was not so much fishing as giving the now-dieing fish a giant finger.

That dwarf must have balls the size of Plump Helmets.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO