Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [40c] Dwarves wont move barrels left over from a destroyed wagon.  (Read 1193 times)

King Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[40c] Dwarves wont move barrels left over from a destroyed wagon.
« on: September 09, 2008, 05:56:29 pm »

Goblin ambush attacked traders just as they were leaving, destroying a wagon. The wagon dropped two barrels of golden salve and two barrels of camels milk. Once the goblins had cleared off I cleaned the area up, but my dwarves wont move the barrels. I removed the forbid tag from the barrels, and from their contents as well once I noticed they were forbidden, but my dwarves still wont haul them off. I can designate them to be dumped and they'll do that, but they refuse to move them to a food stockpile, or anywhere at all for that matter. I've checked all the settings and they should be moving them. I have nine or so idle dwarves now, since I've let them run out of jobs to see if anyone will haul it off and so far nothing. I have plenty of stockpile space too, in fact I've made small versions of ever stockpile around the barrels and nothing. I can tell them to make cheese and they will use the milk (only stuff in my fort) but they just wont move the barrels!

Edit: Might be worth mentioning hey hauled off every other item from the wagon without complaint in a few minutes after I gave the all clear.

Double Edit: It seems there's a problem with a stray cat (tame) I got from the ruins of the same wagon. When I tell my dwarves to relese it from its cage, they just move it into another cage. I waited till the dwarves were moving the cat from one cage to another and had the destination cage marked for removal, I got the message 'X cancels engrave floor, handling dangerous creature'
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 07:22:22 pm by King Doom »

Cavalcadeofcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [40c] Dwarves wont move barrels left over from a destroyed wagon.
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 12:29:04 am »

Have you checked your orders?

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 03:09:29 am »

This is a lousy shot in the dark, but is it possible that the item (liquid) inside the barrel is forbidden?

Are any units from that caravan still alive and present on your map? (not that it should matter)

I'm seeing items randomly become completely uninteractible to my dwarves too--usually stones. I sent a save with a good example to toady, it was the same as you describe--nothing under the sun gets them to move that goddamn stone. :|
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

King Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 01:12:02 pm »

Orders haven't been changed, they haul every other type of food in my fort as and when I tell them too, and I mentioned they will use the liquid in the barrels already, so it isn't the contents that are forbidden.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 06:38:49 pm »

There are some other possibilities with reserved barrels probably, but I can take a look at it.  I'll need the region folder in some kind of zip/rar/7z, and any new objects that were added to the raw folder.  If it's less than 20 megs, you can send it to toadyone@bay12games.com.  You can also try The Dwarf Fortress File Depot which has a special section for bugged saves.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 06:44:48 pm »

Every time traders die on my map, 1-2 items are left behind that my dwarves simply cannot touch. It's usually clothes--large rope reed socks and the like. This is a huge problem if the items are in a location that I want to place a building, or in a doorway, as NOTHING will move the object and it can't be built over. I've got several example saves if the OP doesn't have his anymore.
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 07:41:40 pm »

Every time traders die on my map, 1-2 items are left behind that my dwarves simply cannot touch. It's usually clothes--large rope reed socks and the like. This is a huge problem if the items are in a location that I want to place a building, or in a doorway, as NOTHING will move the object and it can't be built over. I've got several example saves if the OP doesn't have his anymore.

That's much easier to explain. Dwarves will occaisionally "claim" clothing items for themselves, making it impossible to move the items in any way aside from giving them a cabinet (coffers might also work, but don't quote me on that) in their room, which will cause the dwarf to store their clothes in said cabinet.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

King Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2008, 06:35:08 am »

Sorry, I dumped the barrels and that save died anyway. I could dump 'em easy enough, just not move the blasted things. As to clothing getting left out, yeah, they claim stuff, change clothes and dump the old stuff right there in the wilderness. Give 'em a cabinet in their room and leave 'em, in a few years they might get round to moving it.