Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stone producing water?  (Read 756 times)

deathcon62

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Stone producing water?
« on: September 10, 2008, 10:11:14 am »

I hit this rather large vein of conglomerate, spanning several z-layers, right under some red sand(the same size and shape of the conglomerate) and for some reason, this stone shoots water at a decent pressure. This has caused some trouble with my mining operation and it had to be aborted. I tried mining into the conglomerate several z-layers bellow the start of the vein with only the same outcome, water shoots out. Now, i cant actually see any water, all I see is the stone, but water is shooting from somewhere, and the conglomerate is all marked damp.

ERoberts

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stone producing water?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008, 10:20:57 am »

Perhaps the Conglomerate is at an Aquafer level?

Exponent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 11:09:30 am »

Yeah, sounds like an aquifer for sure.  It should have given you a warning message when you embarked.

deathcon62

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2008, 11:38:46 am »

Ah, your right, I had no idea that aquifer meant water-bearing rock. I always thought that it was talking about those pools on the surface. Thanks for clearing that up, I guess this is not a bug.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2008, 02:07:17 pm »

Ah, your right, I had no idea that aquifer meant water-bearing rock. I always thought that it was talking about those pools on the surface. Thanks for clearing that up, I guess this is not a bug.

Needs moar homework.

But yeah... Unless you know basic geology... DF is going to be a pain. I mean did you ever try coming up to a person on the street and checking if they know what hematite (SP?) and magnetite are?!
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Cavalcadeofcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2008, 08:13:31 pm »

To be fair, aquifers aren't really that realistic. What with their infinite supply of water.

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2008, 09:28:12 pm »

The aquifer under Arizona (or maybe Utah, look it up for yourself) has been used to irrigate about 50% of the central farmland in the US for 30 years.  There is a slight concern that it will not be able to maintain that level of usage for the next 100 years because recent sonar mappings have determined that the primary resevoir chamber of the auqifer is slowly depleteing.

Some real world aquifers are quite close to being an infinite water source.  If memory serves the resevoir chamber of that aquifer has about the same volume as the Black Sea.
"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2008, 02:12:45 pm »

Yeah, you can think of DF aquifers as similar to rivers; they're being fed by large deposits from outside the map, so you don't have to really consider them limited. Of course, the difference is that you can mine out a lot of aquiferous rock and get an extreme FLOW of water, but the water source itself being infinite isn't too weird.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==