Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: [40c] Building floors block dug up staircases  (Read 1507 times)

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [40c] Building floors block dug up staircases
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2008, 05:06:06 pm »

While your detailed description is a valid way of explaining how things happen as they are now, I don't think it justifies that situation. I could perfectly well build a floor around the loam staircase, covering every part of the walkable area that is not itself covered by the staircase, and I argue that this makes more sense. Constructed floors are things that cover the bits at ground level, and they shouldn't affect things that are above ground level (and they only affect things below ground level through dint of covering them over).
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2008, 05:16:00 pm »

There was one last bit I didn't understand, and that is where constructed floors, natural floors, and false flooring exist within a particular single z-level. This is my best understanding, corrections welcome:

And, i don't feel like fixing the image, but I made a mistake. I believe the natural floor layer is also removed by downward staircases, both natural and constructed ones.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 05:20:37 pm by Noble Digger »
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2008, 05:19:14 pm »

While your detailed description is a valid way of explaining how things happen as they are now, I don't think it justifies that situation. I could perfectly well build a floor around the loam staircase, covering every part of the walkable area that is not itself covered by the staircase, and I argue that this makes more sense. Constructed floors are things that cover the bits at ground level, and they shouldn't affect things that are above ground level (and they only affect things below ground level through dint of covering them over).

What you describe already happens when you build an upward staircase as a construction on the tile. The stairway is placed with enough flooring surrounding it to serve as a landing. What the OP describes is being able to place a constructed floor on the same tile as a stairway and you simply can't, they occupy the same space. The problem he mentions can be fixed by channeling the tile and then building an Up staircase on the empty tile--an up staircase has flooring below it and seals off the hole below it. However, if it was a 1x1 shaft, needless to say channeling the tile would have dire consequences if the dwarf was even willing to do it. :(

There is no getting away from the fact that building a floor means building a complete floor, and building an incomplete floor is already accomplished by building an up staircase.

*edit: you actually don't need to channel it at all. I just tried this. Instead of building floors, build up staircases over the existing ones. the holes are closed and you don't get stuck. </thread>
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 05:35:02 pm by Noble Digger »
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2008, 08:55:04 pm »

I think we'll just have to disagree; at this point, we're repeating ourselves and not really getting anywhere.

By the way, I am the OP. :)
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2008, 03:05:22 am »

I think we'll just have to disagree; at this point, we're repeating ourselves and not really getting anywhere.

By the way, I am the OP. :)

Disagree about what? You're being obstinate over nothing, your problem has been solved, building an up stairway deletes the hole in the ground but not the stairway. Are you trying to antagonize me? How about saying thank you for all the time I put into testing this?
quib·ble

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2008, 12:20:38 pm »

The only time I'll try to antagonize someone is when they're being deliberately obtuse, which certainly isn't the case here. What we have here is a minor communications breakdown and, I think, a misunderstanding over what the original bug report is for.

I recognize that there are ways to achieve my goal (an up staircase with a blocked floor) in the current system. My report was for a behavior that I felt was nonintuitive. Games should, as a general rule, strive to have intuitive results from input commands.

I recognize that you put a lot of effort into these posts, and I think they do an excellent job of describing the current behavior of the game. Well done! I still think the current behavior is wrong in subtle aspects, but that doesn't reduce the utility of what you've done here. In fact I'd recommend putting your work onto the wiki somewhere (constructions, or staircases, would probably be good places) so that it doesn't languish in a thread that, after a week or so, nobody'll be reading.

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2008, 02:30:31 pm »

Ahh! Gotcha. I mistook your attempt to change what you felt was behaviour in need of improvement for a bug report, and your continued insistence on that bug as ignorance of the content of the posts. Understood. I don't like working with wiki code but I agree that info of good candor should be saved on the wiki. I wish someone else would do it, and perhaps improve the images I whipped up.
quib·ble
Pages: 1 [2]