Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Animal ageing.  (Read 976 times)

King Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Animal ageing.
« on: September 08, 2008, 09:00:56 am »

Is there a way to turn this off? I started a fun looking map, I'm expecting a lot of fun with chasm critters, only by the time I start looking to expand in that direction everything is dead of old age. This wouldn't be so bad, but it's only year two so far and nothing respawned, there's just piles of bones and a list of about 200 creatures marked deceased when I hit U. I started the map again and instantly stuff dropped dead, it was spread across the map too, so it wasn't some uber predator killing them all. Is there a way to mod in/edit something to make more critters turn up?

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
Re: Animal ageing.
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 09:14:13 am »

Change the [AGE:#:#] tag in the raws.
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

King Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 09:16:05 am »

Awesome! thanks. Rather than resorting to trial and error, is it possible to change it to immortal? what do the values represent?

Novocain

• Bay Watcher
  • Huh?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 09:30:38 am »

If you want to make them never die of old age, simply remove the age tag.

King Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 09:45:45 am »

I'll try that, yeah, but what do the numbers represent? I'd like to know, so when I end up with eight hundred animals running around I can manipulate 'em and keep things sane.

Wait, the tags do take effect in the current save, right? you don't need to start from scratch?

Star Weaver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 11:10:47 am »

The numbers are min and max old age in years. The creture will die sometime between age N and M.

And yeah, the only thing that won't affect a save are new items completely (new [CREATURE:BLAH] line or whatever). Not sure what happens if you delete stuff.

King Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 11:24:25 am »

Again, thanks. One last question, is it possible to alter things so that I can move animals from cage to cage? I can move a fully armed goblin warlord around with no problems, but a captive frogman will escape immediately and send my fortress into a panic.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2008, 10:19:47 pm »

If you remove a object it will create a fatal bug when you try to load your game.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2008, 07:52:39 pm »

Again, thanks. One last question, is it possible to alter things so that I can move animals from cage to cage? I can move a fully armed goblin warlord around with no problems, but a captive frogman will escape immediately and send my fortress into a panic.

I have this problem as well. My dwarves cannot pit\pond\chasm large untamed creatures, but they can pit\pond\chasm extremely deadly and hostile sentient creatures, which almost seem to me MORE likely to make a break for it when uncaged. I mean, i'm leading a goblin by the hand toward the chasm. Closer. Closer. At the edge now. Okay shoving you. Thanks for your cooperation Mr. Goblin. Next I'll throw that Hoary Marmot in the--OH GOD A HOARY MARMOT AND IT'S NOT IN A CAGE JESUS CHRIST RUN
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2008, 08:10:37 pm »

I have this problem as well. My dwarves cannot pit\pond\chasm large untamed creatures, but they can pit\pond\chasm extremely deadly and hostile sentient creatures, which almost seem to me MORE likely to make a break for it when uncaged. I mean, i'm leading a goblin by the hand toward the chasm. Closer. Closer. At the edge now. Okay shoving you. Thanks for your cooperation Mr. Goblin. Next I'll throw that Hoary Marmot in the--OH GOD A HOARY MARMOT AND IT'S NOT IN A CAGE JESUS CHRIST RUN

This is because dwarves are smart enough that they consider the sentient creature a large enough of a threat that they whack it on the head to knock it unconscious before they try to pit it. This mean that the only times that they escape are when they didn't hit it on the head hard enough. The dwarves, however, do not consider the large animals threats, so they do not hit them.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2008, 04:18:25 pm »

This is because dwarves are smart enough that they consider the sentient creature a large enough of a threat that they whack it on the head to knock it unconscious before they try to pit it. This mean that the only times that they escape are when they didn't hit it on the head hard enough. The dwarves, however, do not consider the large animals threats, so they do not hit them.

"There there, that's a good giant toad. Come with Urist to the chasm like a good lad."
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.