Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [40c] Burying enemy dwarves?  (Read 1152 times)

Dolohov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[40c] Burying enemy dwarves?
« on: September 07, 2008, 04:34:53 pm »

A recent goblin siege included one of their leaders -- a Dwarf Elite Bowdwarf.  I killed this foe... and he was then buried in a coffin alongside my other dwarves.  I'm not sure whether it's a bug; it's kind of poignant, really, and I probably wouldn't be able to carve his skull into a totem anyway.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
Re: [40c] Burying enemy dwarves?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 04:40:30 pm »

Yup. All dwarves are united in death.  ;)
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 06:07:08 pm »

my guess is that (in the hardcoding) it checks the species of the slain. If their species is the same as your fort, then it creates a "place in tomb" job. Otherwise, the corpse is just dumped into the graveyard stockpile to rot away.

Again, this is simply my best guess.
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008, 06:35:21 pm »

If it's a bug it should be upgraded to a feature; this is awesome.

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2008, 10:39:55 pm »

If you change the ethics in entity_default.txt you can get dwarves to make same-race crafts, sentient-race crafts, etc. You can even get them to devour their sentient kills and see awesome stuff like dwarf attacks on worldgen human settlements where the dwarves ate every last human that didn't escape.

Change unthinkable\appalling\shun\whatever to "acceptable" to make your dwarves less finnicky about eating each other. :D

I still wish there was an option on burial chambers to disallow burial of other fortresses' people. I hate when the merchants get killed and automatically interred in my *Rose Gold Sarcophagus*, even though there's no consequence for exhuming them and throwing their bones in the magma, its a hassle I'd rather prevent by telling my dwarves not to bury others...
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 07:38:09 pm »

Yeah, this is intentional, and that's the specific case I was considering.  The conditions are:

The creature must either be the same race as your civ, or it must be a non-undead non-equipment creature under your control

The creature must have pet info or must have the ability to speak (I might change that to include the learn flag so it counts if it can speak or learn -- it should really be up to entity ethical framework).  I don't remember precisely what I was trying to catch there.  The pet info stuff is sort of a mess now.

Later on, the ethics should probably control what is done with neutral and enemy dead as well.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2008, 07:51:43 pm »

If they didn't bury same-race non-entity units that died, they probably wouldn't bury dwarves that died after going berserk or otherwise being moved out of the list of your dwarves down to below the pets in the units screen.
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

Dolohov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2008, 12:56:01 pm »

Yeah, this is intentional, and that's the specific case I was considering.

Awesome, thanks.  I think I like it this way: brotherhood in death, that sort of thing.  Makes me feel a little bad for dumping his bones in the chasm, though.