Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [40c] Seeking infant suspends wall construction  (Read 1187 times)

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
[40c] Seeking infant suspends wall construction
« on: September 05, 2008, 09:26:25 am »

Hi!

I just had a planter give birth to a child. The birth message was followed by a "cancelled constructing wall: Seeking infant" - and then "The dwarves suspended the construction of a wall".

It does not seem right that a wall constructions should get suspended because the new mother has suddenly become busy (eating and drinking don't result in suspension either).

Deathworks

Nesoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [40c] Seeking infant suspends wall construction
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 09:10:03 pm »

Is it possible that someone tried to build the wall, but it was blocked by the baby? I recall reading that pets that follow masons around like to get in the way and cause buildings to suspend. Maybe the mother suspended it because the baby was in the way and canceled the job simultaneously?
000508 □ [dwarf mode][flows] flooding over a full pond will kill the fish inside

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 12:08:16 am »

Is it possible that someone tried to build the wall, but it was blocked by the baby? I recall reading that pets that follow masons around like to get in the way and cause buildings to suspend. Maybe the mother suspended it because the baby was in the way and canceled the job simultaneously?

Nope. I've had this happen multiple times (when i build things the entire fortress is building it). Mothers suspend wall construction when 'seeking infant'. It's exactly that.

It's also never when the mother is already next to the wall, it's when shes en route with the materials.

I've also had a similar problem where engravers randomly undesignate some spaces of engraving and i have to re-designate it. I think it's when the job is canceled for some reason or other.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 12:10:42 am by Neoskel »
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Calvin

• Bay Watcher
  • @
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008, 03:24:41 am »

Actually, all mothers when they "birth" a baby, they always cancel what ever they do to pick up the baby. Then they'll resume doing whatever she was doing.

It's not a bug. Its one of those annoying things Toady programmed in.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2008, 03:53:28 am »

Hi!

Neoskel described things absolutely correctly. The mother was on her way to do the construction of the wall when the baby was born.

Calvin: The problem is not the cancellation of the job. The problem is that the job also gets suspended, meaning that no dwarf will touch this wall until I tell them it is okay to build it. Why should a wall construction become kind of forbidden because a baby was born? It is not that the site has become inaccessible for other dwarves, that an object is blocking the site or that a dangerous creature has been spotted near the site. So, why does the game not allow anyone to finish that wall?

Deathworks

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2008, 11:47:11 am »

I've also had a similar problem where engravers randomly undesignate some spaces of engraving and i have to re-designate it. I think it's when the job is canceled for some reason or other.

Different problem entirely.  I'll bet that if you have two dwarves doing engraving they'll skip every other tile and that if you have 1 they'll skip only rarely and probably lines up with when they go for food and drink.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2008, 12:11:47 pm »

I almost made this same bug report yesterday: my dwarves are breeding like rabbits up there on the roof they're building, which leaves it pockmarked with construction-suspended floors.  It's a relatively minor issue, but eliminating this micromanagement would be nice.

On the topic of fixing the logic for suspending work on constructions, it'd also be nice if "dangerous terrain" or "submerged" didn't suspend the work.  When trying to wall off an aquifer, I find myself maneuvering to exactly the right spot so I can just incessantly hit 'q' 's' to get the dwarves to try again.

Nesoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2008, 09:15:42 pm »

Well, darn, so much for my idle speculation ;D
000508 □ [dwarf mode][flows] flooding over a full pond will kill the fish inside

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2008, 06:59:09 pm »

Okay, I'll note it down.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!