Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The dumbest thing I've ever gotten away with.  (Read 1305 times)

Skid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The dumbest thing I've ever gotten away with.
« on: September 06, 2008, 11:43:36 pm »

What's the most risky or outright stupid thing you've ever done in a fort and never had any harm come from it?

I am currently storing all of my adamantine bars and some weapons in the courtyard of my fort, a total value of about +100000 open to the sky. The same fort that is being visited regularly by flying nightwing thieves.  The same fort where there are no weapons or ammo being used that are made of anything better than bone since every tree has to be conserved for smelting adamantine wafers.

And yet nothing of value has ever been stolen even though the only guards are a couple of competent marksdwarves, a few dogs, and whatever civilians happen to wander through. 
Playing a cheesemaker in an average Fortress 'round here would be. Freaking. Terrifying.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The dumbest thing I've ever gotten away with.
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 12:27:39 am »

I don't know if it qualifies as "no harm", but I once tried to make a multi-level obsidian obilisk underneath my fortress. The mixing lava and water got badly out-of-hand, and while nobody was actually killed, a significant portion of the fort had to be condemned.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 12:46:57 am »

What's the most risky or outright stupid thing you've ever done in a fort and never had any harm come from it?

I am currently storing all of my adamantine bars and some weapons in the courtyard of my fort, a total value of about +100000 open to the sky. The same fort that is being visited regularly by flying nightwing thieves.  The same fort where there are no weapons or ammo being used that are made of anything better than bone since every tree has to be conserved for smelting adamantine wafers.

And yet nothing of value has ever been stolen even though the only guards are a couple of competent marksdwarves, a few dogs, and whatever civilians happen to wander through. 

Probably has something to do with nightwings not stealing things...

Code: [Select]
[CREATURE:NIGHTWING]
[NAME:nightwing:nightwings:nightwing]
[TILE:'N'][COLOR:0:0:1]
[MODVALUE:4]
[LARGE_ROAMING][FREQUENCY:5]
[POPULATION_NUMBER:10:20]
[CLUSTER_NUMBER:1:1]
[LARGE_PREDATOR][EVIL]
[FLIER]
[PETVALUE:1000]
[GRASSTRAMPLE:0]
[BONECARN]
[PREFSTRING:jackal heads]
[PREFSTRING:bat wings]
[PREFSTRING:long tails]
[PREFSTRING:manes]
[PREFSTRING:fangs]
[PREFSTRING:ability to suck blood]
[PREFSTRING:tightly-stretched skin]
[PREFSTRING:needle-like horns]
[NOPAIN][NOBREATHE][NOBLEED][NONAUSEA][NOEMOTION][NOEXERT][NOFEAR]
[BODY:HUMANOID:2WINGS:TAIL:2EYES:2EARS:NOSE:2LUNGS:NECK:SPINE:BRAIN:2HEAD_HORN:HUMANOID_JOINTS:MOUTH]
[CAN_LEARN]
[CANOPENDOORS]
[BODYGLOSS:PAW]
[SIZE:8]
[ATTACK:MAIN:BYTYPE:MOUTH:bite:bites:1:6:GORE][ATTACKFLAG_CANLATCH][SPECIALATTACK_SUCK_BLOOD:50:100]
[ATTACK:MAIN:BYTOKEN:LHORN:gore:gores:1:6:GORE][ATTACKFLAG_WITH]
[ATTACK:MAIN:BYTOKEN:RHORN:gore:gores:1:6:GORE][ATTACKFLAG_WITH]
[ATTACK:SECOND:BYTYPE:GRASP:punch:punches:1:2:BLUDGEON][ATTACKFLAG_WITH]
[EQUIPS]
[NOCTURNAL]
[NO_DRINK][NO_EAT][NO_SLEEP]
[BIOME:ANY_DESERT]
[NO_GENDER]
[STANDARD_FLESH]
[HOMEOTHERM:10067]
[LAYERING:50]
[SWIMS_LEARNED][SWIM_SPEED:2500]

No [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER], [CURIOUSBEAST_GUZZLER] or [CURIOUSBEAST_ITEM] tags anywhere in there, which are the tags responsible for thieving behavior in non-civilization creatures.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Ajikozau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008, 12:55:54 am »

I once dug near a river, the river was full of Carps, thankfully the river was also near magma... magma solves everything I guess...  :P

Skid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2008, 01:45:21 am »

Quote from: Neoskel
Probably has something to do with nightwings not stealing things...

No, I added all those tags and they are their own civilization, cloned from the goblins but with the ethics set to pure evil. They just seem to be horribly unlucky thieves.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 01:47:46 am by Skid »
Playing a cheesemaker in an average Fortress 'round here would be. Freaking. Terrifying.

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2008, 03:18:30 am »

Not what I've done, but I've seen NPCs get away with some dumb things.

My mason was near the edge of the map building a brick road.
Thief! Protect the hoarde!
Bugger was less than 15 tiles from freedom, and made it out before I could even check his inventory. Digging through my mason's inventory instead to see what was stolen, it took some time to realize that the dwarf no longer had any pants.
How someone could steal your pants right off of you I'll never guess.

Eatnobles4breakfast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2008, 03:38:39 am »

well, i'm playing a heavily modded version (credit due to i2amroy) and i made all civs INTELLIGENT minus the CAN_SPEAK tag, so they all were forced to war with eachother...then i set it to go all the way to 1050 to see what race would dominate...
unfortunatly, it was...inconclusive... :(
Dastog Eatsnobles is posessed with a lazy mood!
Dastog Eatsnobles cancels be useful: in a lazy mood
Dastog Eatsnobles has claimed a wooden couch!
Dastog Eatsnobles is now a legendary peasant!

Lalandrathon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2008, 11:53:55 am »

Hmm... dumb things I have gotten away with?

Starting my third ever fortress on a flat glacier with no magma or aquifers. (Turned out to be one of my best forts yet.)

Sending a single champion marksdwarf to fend off an entire goblin siege (which had bowgobbos)

And in my recent fortresses, not using traps. (Not to make it more difficult for myself either--honestly they don't seem all that necessary.)

Calvin

• Bay Watcher
  • @
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2008, 12:40:35 pm »

This is one of my dumbest things.

I started in a goblin fortress.

You know what happened?
I started with 7 dwarves all with the HammerDwarf skill and Wrestler skill and had all warhammers.

Yeah, Why is that the dumbest? I ended up in a goblin fortress with three obsidian human castles, and a... green shrine of some sort part of the goblins

AND THEY WERE ALLIED <.<
I got away by ctrl+alt+deletin', Probably go back there and start with real dwarves.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2008, 12:57:07 pm »

I sent a single novice hammerdwarf in caravan bought gear to fend off several ambush parties so I could get everyone to safety

I was somewhat baffled when he started hitting them so hard in the face with his silver warhammer they flew several tiles in all directions. The goblins ended up fleeing. Worst he got was a couple gray wounds

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2008, 05:28:05 pm »

Starting my third ever fortress on a flat glacier with no magma or aquifers. (Turned out to be one of my best forts yet.)

That happened with my seventh of such fortresses if memory serves. Had to abandon cuz of lag though (i shouldn't of set the map to maximum size...)

Right now i'm only embarking on glaciers next to ocean, preferable with only beach (with aquifers under) and no water to cut out lag from waves and freeloading walruses. Dern things never left! Had like 5 generations of calves!

I'm slightly disappointed that theres only sasquatches and no polar bears on my current ice fort though. Those bears make excellent sentries.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2008, 05:31:55 pm »

Changing the entrance from a hole in the ground to a bridge across an underground magma pipe. The human caravan guards took out the imps.

I was surprised that the only problems I had were a few job cancellations. No fireballs, nobody jumping into the pipe.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO