Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Why I stopped using Female dwarves to fight  (Read 2638 times)

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Why I stopped using Female dwarves to fight
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2008, 07:08:26 am »

A good dining room makes a few deaths irrelevant.

My son just died a horrible death at the hands of many a goblins, holy shit look at that chair!
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2008, 07:11:02 am »

I seem to notice that off-duty sparring soldiers seems to have similar effects.  They can happily continue sparring while their spouse and children dies.
right. soldiers will barely ever tantrum... they "enjoy a good sparring session" all the time or "take joy in slaughter".

but some fancy statues beside the dining table and a nice little chest to store some stuff in will keep their family happy. just in case one of these sadistic little bastards shuld die.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2008, 07:17:54 am »

It works! Really!

A good dining room makes a few deaths irrelevant.

Exactly, the most important stuff to keep your dwarves happy: legendary dining room. They wont even care if they loose their wife/kids etc, if they can have a meal in a legendary dining room!  ;D
[Kinda weird but ah well  :D]

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2008, 08:38:59 am »

You know, I almost lost a dwarf from pet loss too! I assigned a marksdwarf a large contingent of war dogs to protect him, and when the day came for them to give it their all my poor marksdwarf was inconsolable! I had to remove him from all jobs for fear he would snap! I figured I'd get him to focus on that wonderful dining room for a while.
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

nordo

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think so, Urist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2008, 06:58:10 pm »

I had a pair of legendary miners who became dwarf and wife.  Unfortunately, these two miners were my only source of military defense throughout the many perils of the first years.  As a team they slew ten goblins, and drove off ambushes which had annihilated trade merchants and their guards.  Then one day I sent them to the surface, ms Urist brought her infant son to show him the ways of the surface world.  The goblins were many that day and no doubt they were emboldened by having just smashed a caravan to splinters.  Ms Urist charged into battle, holding her son up so that he could get a good view (and not get so much gore on him).  Four goblins fell, their organs mined right out of their chests and skulls.  As the rest fled, the proud mother pumped her unbelievably agile legs in pursuit.  As she closed with the ambush leader, she felt her strength ebb as unnoticed wounds took their toll.  The goblin turned, his halberd spun with hell's momentum.  Ms Urist felt no fear, for her husband was surely by her side, ready to protect her.  She had only a few seconds to wonder what went wrong as she died, face down in the earth.  The goblin's keen, steel blade had cut through her child and into her abdomen, spilling her blood in a widening pool around her.

In the dining hall, Mr Urist finished a lengthy guzzle of wine.  Two nights later, his family was buried in a pair of fine orthoclase coffins.  He celebrated with a truly decadent meal.  Life was good.  You could even say he was ecstatic. 
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 09:30:41 pm by nordo »
Prepared monarch butterfly brain.
Pages: 1 [2]