Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [40c] Weapon Handedness in Sparring  (Read 953 times)

Zeg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[40c] Weapon Handedness in Sparring
« on: September 06, 2008, 08:03:30 pm »

I'm not sure if this can be called a bug as such. But it seemed odd at least.

I put a group of recruits through some training to get their wrestling, armour and shield skills up, then switched them over to Hammers. 3 of the 5 seemed to be training up thier hammer skills fine, but the last 2 were lagging behind, seeming to get further skills in wrestling (I have another wrestling squad training up at the same time too).

I looked into thier inventories thinking they might have lost thier hammers somehow, but they were still there. However, the 2 dwarves who were getting less hammer skills were holding the hammer and shield in the same hand. I'm guessing they were still wrestling with their 'free' hand against my other squad. I tried telling them all to drop the shields and pick them back up again, thinking their shield hand was randomly assigned as wrestlers with no weapon, but they went and picked up the shields in the same hand even when carrying the hammers.

Since thier shield skills are already pretty high, I could just leave shields off for sparring, I just thought I would point out this little bit of oddness.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [40c] Weapon Handedness in Sparring
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 08:58:55 pm »

Quote from: Dev Now
*made sparring dwarves work on their selected weapon/unarmed skills rather than using their best skills

Zeg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2008, 09:50:55 pm »

Quote from: Dev Now
*made sparring dwarves work on their selected weapon/unarmed skills rather than using their best skills

This I am aware of. However I'm pretty sure it's not due to preference to weapons. All 5 of the hammerdwarves had fairly high wrestling skill, but the 3 'two handed' dwarves made it to competent hammerdwarf in the same time it took the 'one handed's to reach dabbling. I turned all thier shields off and now they are starting to catch up somewhat.

Though... the new version including that fix has been released while I was testing this, so I could see if it makes the difference heh.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 09:54:22 pm by Zeg »

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 04:04:53 am »

Yeah, I dunno what's going on.  Wrestlers seem to do all sorts of odd things with their equipment.  If you've got a save where they are misbehaving I could take a look at it.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Drunken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 01:37:17 pm »

Just to add to this I am using 40d and I had a similar problem that may be related.

I had a marksman and 3 immigrants and I set them all to wrestling sparring with a buckler and leather armour. The three immigrants got up to champion very fast but the marksman never levelled at any combat skill and I never saw him spar.

Heres the region folder if it helps: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=540

Further (possibly) useful information:
Marksman was the last (bottom) soldier on the m and u lists
Marksman was not holding crossbow
Of course I checked if he was on duty and he wasn't
Marksman spent most of his time in the meeting area with the job 'soldier'
Marksman already had some wrestling skill from before he became a marksman
My military contained a total of only these 4 dwarves
I only had one barracks made from a bed
I tried making a second barracks but I saw no effect from this

Given the upcoming military overhaul this bug may not be worth fixing as it may only be caused by stand in code anyway. I just made the marksman into a peasant so I am happy
A stopped clock is right for exactly two infinitessimal moments every day.
A working clock on the other hand is almost never ever exactly right.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 06:02:08 pm »

I've got a save where a couple legendary wrestlers refuse to use their crossbows.  They picked up a crossbow and quiver, but they won't fill the quiver with bolts or practice at the range.

The relevant squad is led by Kivish Githurvabok.  Kivish and Asmel are the ones acting weird.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=542

Zeg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2008, 02:49:06 pm »

I'm back >_>

Sorry this took so long (which may well make it irrelivent at this point, what with the new version and revamped army stuff coming), but heres my save in any case.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=552

Lokum Atolkikrost and Inod Titthalendok are the dwarves in question. They started training at the same time as the other 3 dwarves who have already reached 'hammerdwarf' status, but they have much lower skills. This save is just after I turned off thier shield bearing, which started to make them catch up, but if you turn shield bearing back on they go and pick the shields up again in thier weapon hand.

roguester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2008, 03:53:33 pm »

I've got a save where a couple legendary wrestlers refuse to use their crossbows.  They picked up a crossbow and quiver, but they won't fill the quiver with bolts or practice at the range.

I have this same thing.
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=554