Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sapience  (Read 910 times)

Hague

• Bay Watcher
  • How do I shot web?
    • View Profile
Sapience
« on: September 27, 2008, 05:58:12 pm »

What defines sapience for the two ethic tokens for eating other things:

[ETHIC:EAT_SAPIENT_OTHER:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:EAT_SAPIENT_KILL:UNTHINKABLE]

How does this affect the use of the butcher's shop and so on?

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
Re: Sapience
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2008, 06:40:31 pm »

What defines sapience for the two ethic tokens for eating other things:

[ETHIC:EAT_SAPIENT_OTHER:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:EAT_SAPIENT_KILL:UNTHINKABLE]

How does this affect the use of the butcher's shop and so on?
Doesn't.
That affects the eating of people/corpses directly.
As in, elves.
In 1, Elfy McEvil devoured Urist McDwarf.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2008, 06:51:04 pm »

A 'sapient' creature is one that is defined in a civ entity, in entity_default.txt, from what I understand. It also might have something to do with can_learn and can_speak. As said before they have absolutely nothing to do with the butcher's shop, just the devouring of enemies in history gen.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2008, 07:40:51 pm »

Hmm... I think around the time Toady got rid of the [BUTCHERABLE_NONSTANDARD] token, he mentioned he replaced that sort of thing with letting civ ethics deal with it. If neither of the above two tokens affect that sort of thing, which one does?
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2008, 07:57:56 pm »

Hmm... I think around the time Toady got rid of the [BUTCHERABLE_NONSTANDARD] token, he mentioned he replaced that sort of thing with letting civ ethics deal with it. If neither of the above two tokens affect that sort of thing, which one does?
Uh.
BUTCHERABLE_NONSTANDARD stated: This creature cannot be butchered after death, but can be slaughtered while alive (effectively)
That is, on a creature-by-creature basis.  Handling them with civ ethics destroys a lot of realism for certain creatures.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2008, 08:12:23 pm »

I think the [BUTCHERABLE_NONSTANDARD] creatures all had something in common, though. Can't remember what. If not, the current equivilant would probably either [CAN_SPEAK], [CAN_LEARN], or [CAN_CIV] that defines sapience, and thus, what you can or can't butcher.

In any case, I found the actual quote, so one of the ethics tags would have to do something: in the "file changes" text file included with the game, in the list of changes for 39a:

[BUTCHERABLE_NONSTANDARD] is gone, replaced by civ ethics
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2008, 08:22:12 pm »

I was pretty sure that those two ethics also effect butcherability. I seem to remember someone who said that if you changed them then you could get things like dwarves butchering dead traders and dwarves. If I remember correctly you still have to kill the creature before you can butcher it, but those two tags set if the creature can be butchered at all.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.