Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Some Questions...  (Read 663 times)

grukobok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Some Questions...
« on: September 10, 2008, 08:14:43 am »

What does the comment mean, in the file "raw/objects/item_pants":
Quote from: raw/objects/item_pants
[ITEM_PANTS:ITEM_PANTS_GREAVES]
   this item doesn't make much sense right now, but there aren't any item types you can tie on to your legs yet
[NAME:greaves:greaves]
[WEIGHT:60]
[VALUE:30]
[ARMORLEVEL:3]
[BLOCKPOWER:70]
[LBSTEP:MAX]
[SHAPED]
[LAYER:ARMOR]
[COVERAGE:100]
[LAYER_SIZE:15]
[LAYER_PERMIT:30]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:6]
[METAL]
[BARRED]
[HARD]
Could someone please explain that?

Another question I have is how many civilizations are allowed in world gen? The civlization definitions are in "raw/objects/entity_default" - these are what I refer to. If I were to create a dozen unique civs in that file and link all of them to creatures, then startup worldgen and execute it to the year 100, will it include all of the civs or only some of them? For example, right now I see 4 different unique civilizations in an unmodded version of DF: the dwarves, the elves, the goblins, the humans. That makes four. If I made a dozen, would there be a dozen unique civilizations distributed in different towns and cities?

The reason I ask is I don't want to go through the painstaking effort of constructing a dozen distinct civs with their own background and then find out that dwarf fortress can only simulate up to a maximum of four civs in world gen.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 08:18:37 am by grukobok »

Exponent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Some Questions...
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008, 08:27:25 am »

Greaves aren't actually pants.  The only part of the leg that they cover is the front side of the shin and knee.  If a dwarf were to wear greaves instead of pants, then they'd essentially be running around naked.  Ideally, greaves are worn in addition to something else higher up, and could even be worn over full-length pants.

I don't know what the max civ count is, but it is certainly well above 4.  Even if you have only 4 races, you can have plenty more than 4 civs.  The two difficulties are A) generating a map that has enough starting locations for all the civilizations, and B) getting lucky enough with the history so that many of the civs survive for at least 100 years.  With a larger number of civs, the likelihood that any given civ will get killed off quicky rises.

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 08:35:34 am »

Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

grukobok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2008, 12:19:22 pm »

you could find:http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=18795.0
if you used this:

Thank you :)

I downloaded a mod and found out that, yes, you can mod more than four distinct civilization types - or races. They'll all appear on the map and you can play in fortress-mode whichever one allows that - if it hasn't fallen. (Made this reply in case someone else is passing by and wondering.)

grukobok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2008, 12:21:44 pm »

Greaves aren't actually pants.  The only part of the leg that they cover is the front side of the shin and knee.  If a dwarf were to wear greaves instead of pants, then they'd essentially be running around naked.  Ideally, greaves are worn in addition to something else higher up, and could even be worn over full-length pants.

I don't know what the max civ count is, but it is certainly well above 4.  Even if you have only 4 races, you can have plenty more than 4 civs.  The two difficulties are A) generating a map that has enough starting locations for all the civilizations, and B) getting lucky enough with the history so that many of the civs survive for at least 100 years.  With a larger number of civs, the likelihood that any given civ will get killed off quicky rises.

this item doesn't make much sense right now because there aren't any item types you can tie on to your legs yet

Corrected.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 12:23:45 pm by grukobok »