Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Deathtrap fortresses for adventure mode exploring.  (Read 618 times)

SeanTucker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Deathtrap fortresses for adventure mode exploring.
« on: September 07, 2008, 06:31:02 pm »

Does anyone else like making them? Personally I think half the fun of playing DF is making a messed-up deathtrap in fortress mode, letting goblins overrun it, and going through it in adventure mode.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Deathtrap fortresses for adventure mode exploring.
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 07:13:48 pm »

Look up Nist Akath and thank me later

Overdose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 08:23:48 pm »

Try building a large fortress literally by a large chasm, and when you come back to your fortress, you'll have a good 100+ ratmen, naked mole dogs, gremlins, giant moles, hanging around. Maybe even some GCS if you dig into the chasm as well. I reclaimed a Fortress i built literally on/in a chasm, and about 10 of my 70 dwarf reclamation party died to the onslaught of countless creatures before they cleared it out and made it safe.

The dwarf with the most kills(19) got promoted to Captain of the Guard, and was aptly renamed "Leftor" because of his missing arm while performing his duty. The other injured became the new members of the Fortress Guard  ;D

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008, 08:49:05 pm »

Big problem with making your own death fortress is you know all the traps.Unless you give it enough time to forget how to trigger them you'll be able to handle the thing much easier than otherwise.

BatCountry

• Bay Watcher
  • We can't stop here...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2008, 09:08:02 pm »

Big problem with making your own death fortress is you know all the traps.Unless you give it enough time to forget how to trigger them you'll be able to handle the thing much easier than otherwise.

Make a simple water (or mechanical) clock to act as a randomizer which periodically triggers certain reusable traps, floods certain passages, etc.

Then mix with your standard assortment of deadly traps.

Make some passages look as close to other ones as possible, and repeat patterns on multiple floors, only with different safe routes.

That should doom anybody but those with the best memory.