Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [40d] Traders wont leave depot  (Read 1310 times)

Keeper Of Secrets

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
[40d] Traders wont leave depot
« on: September 07, 2008, 10:30:15 pm »

Got a dwarven caravan come and one of the trader with a single animal got attacked by a giant cave spider but got saved by one of the caravan guard and is now missing an arm and is unconscious pretty much all the time not moving couldnt trade with the caravan since he's missing from the depot and now the rest of the caravan isnt leaving the depot and im in late winter and also one of the wagons in the depot is one of those ULTRA slow ones . BTW liason left a while back in autumn after the meeting.

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [40d] Traders wont leave depot
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 10:43:09 pm »

Kill him. There are tons of ways to do this ranging from easy to unnecessarily complex, from safe to potentially catastrophic, and from humane to armok-pleasing.

The consequences for doing this, at present, are very minor and perhaps even unnoticeable. It's not your fault his crippled ass is stuck here, anyway! Once he dies trade cycles will resume properly, but as long as any living [Merchant] is still on your map, you won't get more traders from the same civ.
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 11:02:45 pm »

maybe the OP should use punctuation sometime its kinda hard to read as the entire thing just kinda rambles on and on like there aren't any periods or commas that allow me to breath is just kinda keeps going and its like hes rushing and not really slowing down to think a bit

*INHALES*

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 03:44:07 am »

Hi!

Unfortunately, Noble Digger is absolutely correct. As far as I know, the traders are stuck in unloading mode and they are blocking your trade resources.

Once you kill the wounded merchant, the other merchants should pack up and leave (hopefully taking their goods with them). Currently, no other way to forcibly break off trade seems to be known.

As for consequences, they seem to depend on the value of items that change possession and probably the importance of the merchant (probably very low). Killing off merchants seems to be done by players regularly without any immediate impact, although killing off diplomats (who happen to be historic figures) seems to have dire consequences.

So, your best bet is to kill the wounded merchant and next time that civ's traders come, give them a good bargain and maybe some rich offerings to calm them down.

Deathworks

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 04:22:47 am »

If I'm not planning to trade much or at all, I usually trap the diplomat in a tiny room by putting 2 doors a few spaces apart and locking them both as he passes through. You can add water, magma, or collapse the cieling at your leisure.

This does have huge consequences--you won't get traders from that civ ever again (I still hadn't after 11 years). I think since there are ALL kinds of ways to accidentally kill him, Toady held off from even worse repercussions, but somewhere down the line he said that killing nobles and diplomats would cause huge retributions from your home civ. Even still, I'm not sure how dwarves will heuristically determine who was at fault. I can't picture the home civ sieging you over a dead diplomat if it was his fault (standing on a frozen lake when it thawed, caught in a cave-in, invaders, animals, etc)
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.