Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: how is your underground river?  (Read 1601 times)

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
how is your underground river?
« on: September 04, 2008, 02:37:09 pm »

It seems like I've been reading a few posts regarding very strange configurations for underground rivers. I wonder if they are bugged. The one on my map goes from the map edge to about 30 squares in, doubles back on itself one z level below and drops into the pit. The pit actually penetrates the top z level somewhat, so that most of the water falls immediately into that while the river itself is mostly dry. It looks kinda broken. Luckily, building pumps right on the map edge allowed me to gain control of it, but it still makes me wonder if the rivers are working as intended.
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
Re: how is your underground river?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 03:44:35 pm »

It seems like I've been reading a few posts regarding very strange configurations for underground rivers. I wonder if they are bugged. The one on my map goes from the map edge to about 30 squares in, doubles back on itself one z level below and drops into the pit. The pit actually penetrates the top z level somewhat, so that most of the water falls immediately into that while the river itself is mostly dry. It looks kinda broken. Luckily, building pumps right on the map edge allowed me to gain control of it, but it still makes me wonder if the rivers are working as intended.

You must save the waters from the pits.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 03:53:09 pm »

It's not a bug, it's a feature!
The river eroded through that part of the riverbed (roof?) and dropped coincidentally to the pit. What used to be a river became a natural cave (hopefully) devoid of life!

(heh, that actually sounded better than I thought it would)

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2008, 03:56:12 pm »

My current underground river appears out of nowhere in the middle of the map, travels a short distance, and falls into a pit.  I was expecting it to be longer.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2008, 03:57:59 pm »

I've seen that issue with rivers too. I actually had one where the pit completely cut off the upper level, so it was water flowing from the source, over a few squares, and falling straight into the pit. The rest of the underground river was just mud and full of creatures walking around in the mud.

All rivers appear and then fall into a pit eventually, it's a bug when the river backtracks and the pit nullifies the majority of the river.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

John Johnston

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrescuable aspie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2008, 06:11:22 pm »

My current underground river appears from nowhere in a waterfall, about thirty tiles away from a magma pipe.  It then flows northwards, away from the pipe, in a straight line, and leaves the map.

I'm trying to work out how I can divert the magma on top of the thirty-odd skeletal lizardmen and their cave crocodile pals without blocking the river completely...   :)

Oh
God it's been a lovely day
Everything's been going my way
I had so much fun today
And I'm on fire

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2008, 04:15:27 am »

Mine is similar to Johns.

It begins in a waterfall in the northwestern quadrant of the map,with no connection to any feature that might explain its existence (I mined out the tiles one level above the waterfall, nothing, niente, nada, just pure rock. Then it flows northwards and leaves the map.

iskurthi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2008, 09:32:37 am »

My current underground river appears out of nowhere in the middle of the map, travels a short distance, and falls into a pit.  I was expecting it to be longer.

I ran into one that was literally just a waterfall coming out of nowhere and emptying straight into a pit. The whole thing had about a 5x5 footprint on the map.

Lots of fun trying to find that one when it's your only source of water...

MathijsBuster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2008, 10:35:50 am »

I love the diversity. I had one coming in from a straight line and then zig-zagging for several Z-levels, more so than usual (about 6 times or so).

I'm opting for: Not a bug but a feature. Diversity rocks!
Dwarves: Death from Below!

WCG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That's interesting...
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2008, 10:40:12 am »

This is the first underground river I've seen, but mine starts at the edge of the map and travels a relatively-short distance before falling into a bottomless pit. I was actually expecting some shoreline, but there's nothing like that. Just moving water and the pit.

When I arrived at the embark site, there were a couple of (unseen) cave crocodiles which immediately died. Were they in the river and just swept into the pit, do you think?  It's a bit disappointing, because there seems to be nothing in the river now. But I'm going to dig out a riverbank area soon and see if something will spawn there (or arrive in the river from off the map).

At the very least, it will provide a place for my fisherdwarf (before something eats him).

:)

Bill

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2008, 11:02:39 am »

When I arrived at the embark site, there were a couple of (unseen) cave crocodiles which immediately died. Were they in the river and just swept into the pit, do you think?{/b]  It's a bit disappointing, because there seems to be nothing in the river now. But I'm going to dig out a riverbank area soon and see if something will spawn there (or arrive in the river from off the map).

Very probably.
This often hapens if you have an underground river that has waterfals and ends in a bottomless pit. Which is why you will find soon lots of dead underground water creatures if you are on a map with such a river. 

iskurthi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2008, 04:30:58 pm »

I love the diversity. I had one coming in from a straight line and then zig-zagging for several Z-levels, more so than usual (about 6 times or so).

Yeah, the diversity of underground features is a lot of the fun. Some of them are kind of wtf inducing, but even those are memorable.

supremeMang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2008, 02:08:40 am »

hows my river??? full of fucking crocodiles.

but soon,so too will be my defensive pits