Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Producing clothing  (Read 720 times)

Kageshin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Producing clothing
« on: September 05, 2008, 02:18:49 am »

What is an effective means of quickly producing sets of clothes or armor for my dwarves?  There are so many different clothing items that I am daunted by the idea of setting tasks to produce them all.  Can anyone suggest a good method?  If there isn't really a good one outside of using the task manager, what about a smelter reaction?  Maybe several of them to produce one set of a given type of clothing or armor based on type (cloth, leather, chainmail, plate, etc and divided by gender)?  I've got an adamantine fetish so I've set up the smelter cheat for it to produce both adamantine wafers and adamantine strands; if anyone wants to suggest a smelter reaction, please account for the use of adamantine and adamantine cloth in it.

TheSpaceMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.digital-lifeform.com
Re: Producing clothing
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 06:09:18 am »

i am planing on adding a smelter reaction that takes one pile of cloth and turns it into all sets of cloathing of that type.
Poking around with a DFParser.
Bodypart names, creatures names in one easily overviewable place.

Oh my new (old) picture?

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 06:07:00 pm »

This is not ideal because the clothing will not having quality modifiers and will require the Furnace Operator skill to produce, and will only give a single (30 xp) skillup per set of clothing you produce. Further, I think the reaction will produce a set of clothing of one type (olm leather, etc) regardless of the mishmash you feed the smelter. This saves time but costs you several aspects of gameplay.

I find the quickest way is to use work orders (u, m, q) to produce 30 of each item that can be made out of cloth. The elves make sure I end up with plenty of cloth.
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

Kageshin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 10:54:34 pm »

i am planing on adding a smelter reaction that takes one pile of cloth and turns it into all sets of cloathing of that type.

How would set something like this up?  I don't even understand what pieces of clothing are which or how they differ; high boots vs. low boots?  Is there a difference in protection if they're armor?  Is there a list somewhere of all the armor and clothing pieces and which are which?

Edit:  optimally, one would be able to take any type of material to the smelter to produce armor/clothing of that type of material rather than entering a bunch of reactions for different types.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 11:00:35 pm by Kageshin »

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2008, 10:58:37 am »

Boots aren't clothing, they're armor.
Shoes are clothing.
Dwarves won't wear armor unless they're told to by being in the military.
Shirt, socks, shoes, mittens, trousers, caps.  That's all you need IIRC.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries