Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Sleeping dwarf has been struck down  (Read 1993 times)

RebelZhouYuWu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sleeping dwarf has been struck down
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2008, 08:52:21 pm »

What if instead of of designating his hammer for melting and still risk him beat a dwarf to death or killing him just to have him come back next migrant wave, you just cripple him with either a spinal injury or a decapitated arm, not enough to kill him, just enough to make sure he in bed ridden for the rest of his life or constantly collasping in pain so that your dwarves will never be able to be beaten or hammered.

mport2004

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2008, 09:54:43 pm »

Basically the hammerer has two settings; beating, death, and overkill

Fixed.
I once had a dwarf sentenced for something like 80 hammerstrikes. It eventually degraded into a beating because I had no jail.

Even beatings seem to vary in lethality.
·   Rule #37: There is no "overkill". There is only "open fire" and "I need to reload". :D
My personal take on the Hammerer is that if the dwarf actually did something bad (ex hurt someone else) then the hammerer is welcome to beat his head in.  Although lately my crossbow armed fortress guard just does it by firing squad :/ I think it’s a bug but when dwarves hit others with thrown stones during tantrums they are considered enemies and treated like one.  Seems like what happens in adventure mode when you attack civilians.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2008, 10:00:40 pm »

Jail / minor beating / varying levels of death is also a common feature in human history.  In the western world these days we instead put people in jail for months, years, or varying numbers of lifetimes.

Axe27

• Bay Watcher
  • Put down the crossbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2008, 10:08:41 pm »

Unfortunately, in Dwarf Fortress, you have a guy with a 50-pound hammer come in and beat the crap out of the offended. Now, it's just me, but when a 50-pound hammer connects with your ribcage, it produces massive internal injury.
And thus did the dream of dwarven antigravity fade away, not with a massive explosion or a flood of magma, but with a whimper.

I'm going to be depressed all day now.

Viprince

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2008, 08:22:55 am »

Well I had a fortress with some pricks for nobles.. Fair enough all my nobles have always been pricks.. but anyway What I did was to make the hammere Dump his hammer. I gotta say it was a behemoth of a stell warhammer decorated with all kinds of craps but anywho no more beatings after that. Note that this was in a fairly old version and I havn't tried since, havn't really had the need to as I just execute the nobles.

An incident during which a tantruming count killed my legendary armorsmith turned me against the purple side :P Let's just say those 10 goblins, 10 Z-level drop and having his remains thrown in the magma pipe thought him a lesson.
Pages: 1 [2]