Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [40c]Tunnel hits bottom of world  (Read 1308 times)

AMX

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
[40c]Tunnel hits bottom of world
« on: August 28, 2008, 08:21:08 am »

At least that's what I think happened:

There's a row of Open Space where you'd expect Downward Slopes, and no Z-level below.
Alt-moving over the edge causes you to be "flying", and you can alt-move back onto the ground.

Incidentally, entering the tunnel from the other end doesn't result in anything of this sort.

Save available if necessary.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [40c]Tunnel hits bottom of world
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 11:17:21 am »

So, basically, somebody dug too deep during world gen.  Literally.

Tubi2b

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 01:16:22 pm »

Congrats. You have found the center of the earth =p. That explains for the lack of gravity... or the excess?

Zemat

• Bay Watcher
  • Zemat, programmer, cancels coding: Too insane.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 01:53:03 pm »

At least that's what I think happened:
Incidentally, entering the tunnel from the other end doesn't result in anything of this sort.

Huh? If you enter thru the other end, can you return and pass through the same point in the screenshot without problem?

What if you enter thru the other end, then pass the mysterious part and then go back to it? Does it appears again?

Sounds too escherian...
You too can help bring to life the RogueLife Project!

AMX

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 03:38:11 pm »

Huh? If you enter thru the other end, can you return and pass through the same point in the screenshot without problem?

What if you enter thru the other end, then pass the mysterious part and then go back to it? Does it appears again?

Sounds too escherian...
Sorry ... I meant if I enter through the other end, I can reach the, uh, other other end (that is, the one I entered here) without problems.
Haven't tried walking through and turning back yet (I'll probably get around to that on Saturday... slightly busy ATM).

Tubi2b

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2008, 10:55:22 pm »

Try throwing things into it to see if they come back at you.

Ascii Kid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is just a test
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2008, 12:23:28 am »

Or get down there an build a fort, watch it implode like that House of Esher
"...you'll have you live with your GRANDmother and pick beans!"
-Homer

AMX

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2008, 08:25:22 am »

That went faster than expected - I thought I'd have to do a lot of running back-and-forth, but it turns out that moving just 1 world map tile beyond the buggy spot is enough to have the bug appear when turning back.

Oh, and dropping/throwing stuff into the open space causes it to just lie there on the nonexistent ground.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2008, 09:45:57 pm »

Yeah, if you've still got the save I'd like to take a look at it.  The tunnels are supposed to stay roughly a fixed distance beneath the surface well away from the lower bound of the map, but perhaps there's a way for it to screw up given the proper sort of slopes/cliffs above, or it might be something completely different going on.

I'll need the region folder in some kind of zip/rar/7z, and any new objects that were added to the raw folder.  If it's less than 20 megs, you can send it to toadyone@bay12games.com.  You can also try The Dwarf Fortress File Depot which has a special section for bugged saves.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!